educational mat?

< Previous | Next >
Hi,
What would you call this kind of blanket for babies? As you can see, the blanket is equipped with many different toys, and this very item has also got an in-built speaking system. We call it an "educational mat" in Polish and I was wondering what it might be called in English. :)

• Myridon

English - US
    Play that stimulates the brain can be quite educational for small children, but we tend to think of educational toys as actually teaching shapes, colors, letters, numbers, etc.
    This toy seems to teach your child that there are fish as big as tigers which hang from vines. ;)

earthmerlin

English-US
    As the other replier said, it's often referred to as a 'play mat'. BUT, it's also commonly called a 'baby gym'. It's a 'baby gym' in the sense that infants need to learn how to manipulate their bodies & these things help them achieve such (i.e., hand-eye motor control). I guess the word 'gym' comes from the idea that babies need many opportunites to exercise their muscles in order to master hand-eye coordination--it's a 'workout' for them to reach for the dangling objects, etc.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It's cute; I've never seen anything like it. It's clearly meant to be placed in an infant's crib. If I were marketing it, I'd probably call it a "Crib Jungle". I don't think it reaches the "gym" level; baby "gyms" are a little more strenuous. Definitely play, not "educational".

< Previous | Next >