e'd've got a clip round the ear if we'd made any remarks."[/

laurapiovesan

italian
Hi to Everybody!

I'm translating a text, here there is an old man who is suffering from a mental disease. She is in the hospital, but she wants to go home and she thinks that the doctors are observing her. Now she is talking about a old woman who used to visit her when she was old.

"Poor Emily used to visit us when she was old and the tops of her stockings fell down- like a fisherman's waders. We'd've got a clip round the ear if we'd made any remarks."

What does the sentence in bold mean?

Thank you!

Laura

Font: "Matters of Life and Death" of Bernard MacLaverty

• Dlyons

English - Ireland
    "Poor Emily used to visit us when she was old and the tops of her stockings fell down- like a fisherman's waders. We'd've got a clip round the ear if we'd made any remarks."
    We would have been given a slap on the ear, if we had said anything derogatory.

owlman5

English-US
    It means that someone would have smacked the speakers on the side of the head if they had made any disparaging remarks about poor Emily's droopy stockings.

Loob

English UK
    Just a thought: I guess you mean
    I'm translating a text, here there is an old woman who is suffering from a mental disease. She is in the hospital, but she wants to go home and she thinks that the doctors are observing her. Now she is talking about a old woman who used to visit her when she was old young.
    She must have been talking about her youth: for the most part, it was only children who were 'clipped round the ear' by parents, schoolteachers and so on.

< Previous | Next >