Edwardian shit & chloroform

< Previous | Next >

Geralt of Rivia

Turkish
“I like your mom but if she keeps up this Edwardian shit, I may have to chloroform her.”

John Scalzi - Lock In

I'm not sure about the meanings of the red parts. This sentence is uttered to man whose mom is a bit annoying and tries to be a control freak. Maybe that 'Edwardian' is about the 'Edward VII era.' However, I still don't know why it is used here.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    ... Maybe that 'Edwardian' is about the 'Edward VII era.' However, I still don't know why it is used here.
    Yes, that's what it means. We can't tell you why it's used because you haven't given us any context. That era is sometimes thought of as old-fashioned (as of course it is), prudish (which some say it wasn't) or decadent (which some say it was).

Geralt of Rivia

Turkish
    Yes, that's what it means. We can't tell you why it's used because you haven't given us any context. That era is sometimes thought of as old-fashioned (as of course it is), prudish (which some say it wasn't) or decadent (which some say it was).
    “Three, your mother came in to tell me to remind you that she expects you home in time for the get-together at seven. She wanted me to remind you that it is in your honor, to celebrate your new job, so don’t embarrass her by being late.”
    “I won’t,” I said.
    “And I want to remind you to tell your mother that it’s not my job to forward messages to you,” Miranda said. “Especially when your mother is perfectly capable of pinging you herself.”
    “I know,” I said. “Sorry.”
    “I like your mom but if she keeps up this Edwardian shit, I may have to chloroform her.”

andrewg927

English - American
    Like Keith explained, the mom was rigid, old fashioned, a reference to that era. To choloform is to shut someone up. It comes from the fact chlorform is a chemical that makes you sleepy.

< Previous | Next >