"ee" pronunciation

bieq

Spanish
Hello,

I have been listening to some songs in Dutch lately and I am now a bit confused about the "ee" pronunciation in some words. I know that phonetically speaking, this doube e pronunciation should be [e:], however, when I listen to it, I believe it sounds more like [e:i]. Example:

Ik weet should be phonetically transcribed as [ɪk ʋeːt], but when I listen to it, then it sounds like [ɪk ʋeːit]... :(

Is it me or does this really happen?

Thanks!

Ben

:)

• Grytolle

Swedish - Swedish
    Always except before r in Nothern Standard Language, as far as I know. Before r it's a monoftong which may move to some degree in the direction of ie ([i:]).

bieq

Spanish
    Hello,

Thank you. So I am right, aren't I? And yes, I knew that about the r, it's one of the first things I learned.

Ben

:)

Frank06

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Hi,
    I know that phonetically speaking, this doube e pronunciation should be [e:]...Ik weet should be phonetically transcribed as [ɪk ʋeːt], but when I listen to it, then it sounds like [ɪk ʋeːit]... :(

A phonetic transcription tries to reflect how a word is actually pronounced. So why "should" ik weet be transcribed as [ɪk ʋeːt]? In the Netherlands, there is a marked tendency to diphthonguise [e:] (or [e.] to (approximately) [e.i].
    I mean, you heard well, you transcribed well (the diphthong [e.i])...
    What's the problem? :).

Groetjes,

Frank

Last edited:

Grytolle

Swedish - Swedish
    [e:i] might be a bit too long, though... [eˑi] or maybe even [ei] could be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >