effect vs affect

< Previous | Next >

firee818

Chinese
I try to write the following sentence (1) into sentence (2), could anyone help to check whether sentence (2) is correctly written which has the same meaning as sentence (1).

1). She was so affected by the death of her father that it changed her personality.
2). The effect of the death of her father to her is that she had changed her personality.

Thank you so much.

• grassy

Polish
    The change of the pronoun makes a difference: it changed her personality vs she had changed her personality. Also, I see no reason to use past perfect in such an out-of-context sentence.

firee818

Chinese
    The change of the pronoun makes a difference: it changed her personality vs she had changed her personality. Also, I see no reason to use past perfect in such an out-of-context sentence.
    Is sentence (2.1) OK or not?
    1). She was so affected by the death of her father that it changed her personality.
    2.1). The effect of the death of her father to her is that she changed her personality.

owlman5

English-US
    2.1 is understandable, firee, if you insist on using "effect" in that sentence. I'm glad to see that you followed grassy's advice and removed "had" before "changed".

< Previous | Next >