Effective sentences? SAT questions

koudai8

China, Chinese
Here are some questions on the SAT that i'm not sure of. Please help me on these... thanks!

Opposite of what has always been taught to us, a tourniquet should be applied only when heavy bleeding cannot be controlled.

(A) Opposite to what has always been taught to us
(B) Against that which has always been taught to us
(C) Contrary to that which has always been taught us
(D) Against what we have always been taught
(E) Contrary to what we have alwaysa been taught.

According to 1974 census reports, the population of Tokyo was larger than that of any other city in the world except New York.

(A) the population of Tokyo was larger than that of any other city in the world except New York.
(B) the population of Tokyo was larger than that of other cities in the world except that of New York
(C) the population of Tokyo was larger than the population of any city in the world except for New York's
(D) Tokyo had the largest population of any of the world's other cities except New York
(E) Tokyo had the largest population of any city in the world exceept that of New York's

In his writings, James Joyce described the Dublin he knew and the life he
.   A                        B       C
experienced there. No error
.        D    E

Aerial photography is thought to be the most efficient technique to gather
                A     B              C
accurate information about the use of the land. No error.
        D                   E

• koudai8

China, Chinese
    Meh... I got all of them wrong...  >_<a

ok, number 1 i just gave up.

number 2 i put C

number 3 i put D

number 4 i put E

Prairiefire

US (Midwest) - English
    It might also help if you start a separate post for each question. That is a lot of material to comment on.

Avignonais

USA
    USA, Anglophone
    In my opinion,
    1 is E. Contrary to... is very commonly used to show opposition. The "that which" construction looks odd.

2 is A. To me this sounds the best

3 is E. I can't find anything wrong with the sentence

4 is c. for gathering

koudai8

China, Chinese
    In my opinion,
    1 is E. Contrary to... is very commonly used to show opposition. The "that which" construction looks odd.

2 is A. To me this sounds the best

3 is E. I can't find anything wrong with the sentence

4 is c. for gathering
    Congratulations! you got half of them right...

No.1 you got right!

No.2 B ><

No. 3 is C... that's just weird...

No.4 you got it right! could you please explain why "to gathering" is wrong?

Thanks!

It might also help if you start a separate post for each question. That is a lot of material to comment on.
    Ok, i'll do that next time. *just afraid of being accused of flooding*

Avignonais

USA
    USA, Anglophone
    Dang!@!?$

2. I was afraid of that. Technically if you say, "of any other city" you shouldn't go back add "except" at the end. And "the poplulation" is the subject so to the end you need to be consistent and use "that of NY". Goes to show you the SAT English is not normal spoken English. :)

3. I don't understand either. Let's wait for an answer.

koudai8

China, Chinese
    Dang!@!?$

2. I was afraid of that. Technically if you say, "of any other city" you shouldn't go back add "except" at the end. And "the poplulation" is the subject so to the end you need to be consistent and use "that of NY". Goes to show you the SAT English is not normal spoken English. :)

3. I don't understand either. Let's wait for an answer.
    man...do i need a lot of practice or what...

what is SAT anyway...

Loob

English UK
    Opposite of what has always been taught to us, a tourniquet should be applied only when heavy bleeding cannot be controlled.

(A) Opposite to what has always been taught to us
    (B) Against that which has always been taught to us
    (C) Contrary to that which has always been taught us (correct but not as idiomatic as E)
    (D) Against what we have always been taught
    (E) Contrary to what we have alwaysa been taught.:tick:

According to 1974 census reports, the population of Tokyo was larger than that of any other city in the world except New York.

(A) the population of Tokyo was larger than that of any other city in the world except New York.:tick:
    (B) the population of Tokyo was larger than that of other cities in the world except that of New York
    (C) the population of Tokyo was larger than the population of any city in the world except for New York's
    (D) Tokyo had the largest population of any of the world's other cities except New York
    (E) Tokyo had the largest population of any city in the world exceept that of New York's

In his writings, James Joyce described the Dublin he knew and the life he
    .   A                        B       C
    experienced there. No error
    .        D    E:tick:

Aerial photography is thought to be the most efficient technique to gather
                    A     B              :tick:C
    accurate information about the use of the land. No error.
            D                   E
    I agree with the answers given.

"Technique" is normally followed by "for" (unlike "way" - 'way to do, way of doing'; or "method" - 'method of doing').

This is subtle stuff, koudai8!

Loob

EDIT: sorry - I've just re-checked and seen that the answer for the James Joyce sentence is given as C, not E. I don't understand this - the sentence seems fine to me:-(

< Previous | Next >