effective vs efficient

kikivsmeomeo

Vietnamese
please help me distinguish effective and efficient, I am doing my E excercises and i do not know how to use efficient and effective
such as this question: Michael is responsible and ... at his job. I have to use which of it? thank you in advance.

• Welcome to the forum! :)

You have to decide what you're trying to say. "effective" means getting tasks done, as he's supposed to do. "efficient" means that he is organized and chooses ways of working that don't waste time and effort.

I lean toward 'effective' if forced to choose what would most likely be said, but I don't call this the only 'right' answer.

sdgraham

USA English
    Look at it in this scenario:

An efficient manager might quickly send a memo to a slacking employee to shape up -- and keep a copy of the memo at hand.

An effective manager would actually get the slacker to improve work habits. (regardless of how many messages it took)

kikivsmeomeo

Vietnamese
    Welcome to the forum! :)

You have to decide what you're trying to say. "effective" means getting tasks done, as he's supposed to do. "efficient" means that he is organized and chooses ways of working that don't waste time and effort.

I lean toward 'effective' if forced to choose what would most likely be said, but I don't call this the only 'right' answer.

An efficient manager might quickly send a memo to a slacking employee to shape up -- and keep a copy of the memo at hand.

An effective manager would actually get the slacker to improve work habits. (regardless of how many messages it took)
    thank you! I got it! :)

Good points, sdg. And I think you'd agree if I add: We wouldn't generally call the first person 'efficient', overall, if he never got done most of the things he tried to encourage in his memos! In other words, 'efficient' presupposes a substantial degree of effectiveness.

sdgraham

USA English
    Good points, sdg. And I think you'd agree if I add: We wouldn't generally call the first person 'efficient', overall, if he never got done most of the things he tried to encourage in his memos! In other words, 'efficient' presupposes a substantial degree of effectiveness.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >