efficacia su concianti e fungicidi

anglomania1

UK English
Hi there,
I'm translating a website on agronomic treatments and one of the things the company carries out research on is:
efficacia su concianti e fungicidi

Why "su"? Does it not mean "efficacy" here but "effect", maybe?
"Efficacy on seed treatments and fungicides" doesn't work for me, here.

Any suggestions would be very welcome,
thanks, anglo

• Fooler

Italian (Italy)
    Ciao anglo,

According to your context the efficacia can stand for effectiveness or effectivity too

In Italian efficacia can be followed by per or su. It would be useful to know the whole sentence.

Last edited:

anglomania1

UK English
    Ciao anglo,

According to your context the efficacia can stand for effectiveness or effectivity too

In Italian efficacia can be followed by per or su. It would be useful to know the whole sentence.
    Hi Fooler and thanks, that was one of my doubts, because I've never seen "efficacia su" before!
    It just sounds odd in English, though, without saying effectiveness of "what", precisely, on seed treatments etc.
    Perhaps it's just a general meaning "effectiveness on seed treatments..."
    That is the whole sentence, more or less!
    It's a bullet point:
    • efficacia su concianti e fungicidi: si valuta l’efficacia dei prodotti concianti e dei fungicidi fogliari sulle principali malattie dei cereali
    So you don't think it means "effect", then?
    anglo

Mary49

Italian
    Hi,
    I agree with Fooler, it means "efficacy" or "effectiveness", that is the product is able to obtain the desired results on...

anglomania1

UK English
    Thanks for the confirmation, Mary49! :)
    It just sounded odd to me, because there is no mention of any product, it's "sottinteso" I assume!
    Thanks to both of you, I'll go with effectiveness!!
    anglo

Benzene

Italian from Italy
    I'm translating a website on agronomic treatments and one of the things the company carries out research on is:
    efficacia su :cross: concianti e fungicidi
    Why "su"? Does it not mean "efficacy" here but "effect", maybe?
    "Efficacy on seed treatments and fungicides" doesn't work for me:tick:, here./QUOTE]
    Hello anglo!
    1. The phrase is wrong at least for me and so, it should be "efficacia dei concianti e fungicidi" instead of "efficacia su concianti e fungicidi".
    2. The term "efficacy" is mainly used in chemistry, phytopharmacology and pharmacology, as a substitute for "effectiveness".
    For example: "efficacy of tanning agents and fungicides: the efficacy of tanning products and foliar fungicides associated with main cereal diseases is assessed".

Bye,
    Benzene

Last edited:

Fooler

Italian (Italy)
    I agree with Benzene too but the as you said it's a bullet point so I presume the previous sentence, period or verb begins with ???

Eg: Il prodotto comprova:

1) efficacia su concianti e fungicidi: si valuta l’efficacia dei prodotti concianti e dei fungicidi fogliari sulle principali malattie dei cereali;
    2) efficacia su............

and so on.

So, The product provides/contains: proven effectiveness on etc etc

My try

Mary49

Italian
    Well I found on the site that they carry on effectiveness tests on "concianti e fungicidi" to verify their effectiveness. Therefore the sentence is absolutely right.

< Previous | Next >