efficiency is of the essence

< Previous | Next >

sunRAE

Greetings!
I am writing an email and wanted to say something to the effect: efficiency is most important. I am thinking of putting:

"I just wanted to make sure before I go into production, so as not to waste my time or yours. Efficiency is of the essence you know!"

Does the phrase "of the essence" make sense used this way? and Is it used correctly?

Thanks so much!

• vvacher

French
    Hello, I'm thinking about writing this : "I have served for the French Navy where being thorough and efficient are of the essence." My point is to state that I work with rigour and efficiency. Is my sentence awkward ?
    Thanks for your help!

e2efour

UK English
    Hello, I'm thinking about writing this : "I have served for the French Navy where being thorough and efficient are of the essence." My point is to state that I work with rigour and efficiency. Is my sentence awkward ?
    Thanks for your help!
    Your sentence is fine, but why use a cliché, as pointed out by SDG? Some people find them irritating. What is wrong with essential or a word in Franglais like de rigueur?

vvacher

French
    My aim was to avoid gallicism. The original sentence in French is "la rigueur et l'efficacité sont des valeurs indispensables" and I was reluctant to simply write "rigour and efficiency are indispensable values". If this second sentence sounds better than the first, then I'll go for it.

wandle

English - British
    My aim was to avoid gallicism. The original sentence in French is "la rigueur et l'efficacité sont des valeurs indispensables" and I was reluctant to simply write "rigour and efficiency are indispensable values". If this second sentence sounds better than the first, then I'll go for it.
    This is really a translation question and therefore properly belongs in the French-English forum.
    If you quote it there, along with the surrounding French context, there should be no difficulty in producing a good English version.

vvacher

French
    Oops, I didn't even notice I was not on the right forum. I just blindly followed the first post of this thread. Thanks!

< Previous | Next >