efficient and effective

Charlie Wu

Chinese
hello, everyone, this is my first time to ask questions in this Forums. I just read a sentence that had efficient and effective in one sentence. I thought these two words have a similar meaning, but when they appeared in one sentence. I think they must have some different, so please help me to figure it out. By the way, forgive my poor grammar. (If you like to fix my grammar, please just do it. :))

• suzi br

English / England
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Efficient is usually related to cost, doing something without waste of time or energy or money.
    Something can be inefficient, but still effective if it does the job but in a way that wastes resources.

In some cases they can overlap on meaning, but they are not synonyms.

Arkalai

English- British
    hello, everyone, this is my first time asking a question on these forums. I just read a sentence that had efficient and effective in one sentence. I thought these two words have a similar meaning, but when they appeared in one sentence, I thought they must have some different meaning, so please help me to figure it out. By the way, forgive my poor grammar. (If you like to fix my grammar, please just do it. :))
    About your question:
    Effective and efficient have distinct and different meanings.
    Something is effective if it produces a desired result.
    Something is efficient if it produces a result with minimal wasted effort or resources.

So something can be effective, efficient, both, or neither.

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Welcome to the forums, Charlie! :)

Efficient: doesn't use as much time, energy, resources, etc.
    It's more efficient to heat water with an electric kettle than in a microwave.

Effective: achieves the desired result.
    Aspirin is more effective for treating headaches than water.

Our WR dictionary is usually a helpful resource too.

< Previous | Next >