egli è in attesa di un figlio dalla nuova relazione

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Stefy90, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Stefy90 New Member

Italian italy
    Sto traducendo un articolo giuridico e mi è venuto un dubbio su come tradurre questa espressione: " egli è in attesa di un figlio dalla nuova relazione"

My attempt: he is expecting a baby from his new love affair.

E' corretto o devo usare by?

Grazie in anticipo!

2. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Stefy, I would use 'from' in this instance. He is expecting a baby from the new relationship. :)

3. Stefy90 New Member

Italian italy
    Thank you, you little ripper! :):thumbsup:

4. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Hi Charles, I don't know but there's something distinctly odd in this sentence. "She's expecting." by itself means she's pregnant, yes? So when you read "He's expecting a baby..." it jumped out at me as strange. Maybe it's just me. Maybe better could be
    He's expecting his new relationship to produce a child.
    He's expecting that a child will come from his new relationship.

5. sorry66

sorry66 Senior Member

France
    English, England
    Apparently, men can have babies now (if you can believe it!), so perhaps it would be better to rephrase the sentence, YLR!
    Scientific Breakthrough Allows Male Insemination For The First Time In Human History | Adora Bull
    "An encouraging 212 out of 240 were able to successfully conceive and carry a fetus until the third trimester, while 178 men were able to successfully give birth to live babies. To date, 16 of these male-birthed children have made it to their fourth birthday."

6. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Northern Colorado USA
    American English
    I agree with rrose. My own thoughts were: He is awaiting the birth of his first child from this new relationship. It is more customary, however, to talk about both partners of the relationship awaiting a child.

7. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
  8. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Northern Colorado USA
    American English
    I try to steer our Italian friends away from sentences which might get blank stares or ridicule. Like it or not, we tolerate slightly odd sentences better from native speakers than we do from non-native speakers. I don't doubt that native speakers sometimes use the expression, but it has a slightly odd feel to it, since it is normally a euphemism for "being pregnant", which dates from the 50s, when, at least in the USA, one did not use the word "pregnant" around children because it was too closely associated with sex (and we tried to pretend that sex didn't exist). I can't explain why we did it because it seems so ridiculous now.

People of our age (you know who I mean, Ch*s and R*n) can't help thinking "expecting a child" = "being pregnant." Sometimes even "expecting" was considered too racy and we used the euphemism "she is in a family way." Weird, isn't it? We felt the more indirect that we could be about reproduction, the better. From what I have seen on BBC history shows, it was just as bad in the UK.

9. sorry66

sorry66 Senior Member

France
    English, England
    But it's 'He's expecting' and that's just the beginning of a sentence that explains all! I don't find it so odd.
    I guess you're all the wrong side of forty?/fifty? but YLR is of the same mind.

10. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I have no idea why you would think that sentence would get blank stares or ridicule, AB. The fact that it's possible for a male to get pregnant is rare and still in the experimental stages, so most people (even people of our age - in their 30s ;)) would automatically assume that it was the female partner who was pregnant. I have even heard some men say when announcing that their partners/spouses are pregnant, "Melissa/Jane/Mary and I are pregnant!". I find that one a bit strange and certainly wouldn't recommend it (saying the sentence, that is, not the getting pregnant. Actually, on second thoughts, I wouldn't recommend getting pregnant either :p).

There is no doubt in my mind that the expression is used, but now that some other ways of conveying that idea have been suggested, Stefy can decide how she wants to translate it. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016