Egptian Arabic: waheshiny/waheshtiny

peter199083

Mandarin
I recently led off a beginner course on Egyptian Arabic in which the English transliteration aids teaching in speaking the dialect. When the expression "I miss you" was taught, the lecture note writes "waheshny" whilst the lecturer says "waheshtiny" with an additional syllable.

1664282958979.png

Under the help of an Egyptian colleague, I got to understand that "waheshtiny" is used in a closer relationship than "waheshny", for example, between a couple. However when I referred the question to another colleague she became surprised at their differences.

Therefore I would like to ask if you agree with such difference. Thank you in advance.

• analeeh

English - UK
    I might be wrong, but I believe the forms are واحشني and وحشتني. The difference is that one is a participle (waa7esh-ni, feminine wa7shaani) and the other one is a past verb in the second person (wa7ashti-ni, feminine wa7ashtii-ni). The basic meaning is the same. There might be a difference in actual usage - now I think about it, the corresponding forms in Levantine might have a similar difference (اشتقتلك and مشتقلك).

Ghabi

Cantonese
    As far as I know, it's the difference between the present and the past (speaking to a male):

Present (I miss you): wa7eshni
    Past (I missed you, like you haven't seen him for some time and you often thought of him): wa7asht(i)ni

analeeh

English - UK
    I don't think that's right - I think وحشتني can have present perfect meaning (just like اشتقتلك or تعبت for example).

Ghabi

Cantonese
    Hi @cherine I have a related question. If I'm referring to a particular period of time in the past, do I just add كان? Can I also use the past form?

For example, a man is talking to his wife, about how they were forced to separate during the pandemic (due to quarantine etc) and he says: "I missed you every day [during that period of horrible time]".

Should we say كنتي وحشاني or وحشتيني or both are okay? Thanks a lot!