Egypt

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by MarX, Oct 2, 2007.

1. MarX Banned

Indonesian, Indonesia
    Hello!

I wonder what's Egypt called in different languages.

In Indonesian it is called Mesir. Not similar at all to Egypt.

In German it's Ägypten.

Thank you!

MarK

2. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    In Italian: Egitto.

3. ukuca

ukuca Senior Member

Istanbul - Turkey
    Turkish - Turkey
    In Turkish it's Mısır.
    "mısır" means "corn" if you write the first letter small :)

4. Joannes Senior Member

Antwerp
    Belgian Dutch
  5. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    In European Portuguese: Egipto; in Brazilian Portuguese: Egito. It's only a matter of spelling, since they sound pretty much the same in both varieties.

Jazyk

6. irene.acler Senior Member

Trento - Italy
    Italiano
    In Spanish: Egipto.

7. Mzpean55 Senior Member

Haiti, French
    In French - Egypte

8. deine Senior Member

Lietuva
    Lithuania - lithuanian
    Lithuanian:
    Egiptas

9. dn88 Senior Member

Polish
    Egipt in Polish.

10. Египет in Russian.

Latvian: Ēģipte

Estonian: Egiptus.

Ukrainian: єгипет
    (yehypet)

11. Alijsh Senior Member

Tehran
    Persian - Iran
    Persian: mesr

12. Woland

Woland Senior Member

Israel
    Romania/Romanian
    Romanian : Egipt

13. albondiga Senior Member

Brazil
    English/USA
    East vs. West thing here; it will be interesting to see if there are any exceptions (maybe in Japanese/Korean/Chinese languages?)...

My contributions on the east side:
    Hebrew: mitzrayim
    Hindi: misr

14. Woland

Woland Senior Member

Israel
    Romania/Romanian
    Hungarian : Egyptiom
    Hebrew :מצרים

15. avok

avok Banned

I am sure the Japanese/Korean/Chinese have something other than the easterns Mesir/misr etc. since it is about the Arabian influence.

16. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

San Francisco
    Am. English
    Here is Egypt in Devanagari. Definitely didn't know the word before, Albondiga! Thanks for the heads up!:thumbsup:

मिस्त्र
    Edit: Upon second glance, Shabdkosh.com seems to disagree with your transliteration. Where did you find that spelling?

17. I have also remembered the Azeri: Misir
    and the Georgian one, although, I`m afraid, I cannot type Georgian here, but it is pronounced something like Egvipte.

18. 0stsee Banned

Indonesian
    Japanese: Ejiputo
    Chinese: Aiji

19. Chechen: Misar

20. Lovely Korean New Member

Beijing, China
    Korea,Korean♡
    Hi~ ^_^ ♥ In Korean language, we call Egypt, '이집트', and

we say it same as English word 'Egypt'. we call this word(이집트)

ee-jip-t.

thank you very much~♡ ^_^

여러분~ 감사합니다! (everyone! thank you!)

21. albondiga Senior Member

Brazil
    English/USA
    Took me a short while to track it down, since it's not a source I actually ever used much, but here it is... Unfortunately, no Devanagari (probably why I never used the site much; I couldn't trust it with only a transliteration!) Anyway, their transliterated spelling includes the "a" for the final consonant, but the audio pronunciation sounds like it's left out as usual, and that's how it stuck in my head, misr (it probably stuck because of the connection to mitzrayim in Hebrew, which I knew then.)

In any case, despite the sources of these two versions, the one I wrote also just seems more right than Shabdkosh's version. None of the other languages that took the Arabic word seem to have a "t" sound in their versions (the Hebrew "tz" is a single consonant, not a "t" and a "z", and nothing else from Azeri to Indonesian seems to have anything but "m" and "s" and "r")... that's not conclusive, though, so :arrow:

The tie-breaker: I just checked Platt's and they don't have a separate entry for "Egypt" but they do have "Egyptian" as "miṣrī (rel. n. fr. miṣr)" without the "t" sound either. I won't go back and edit my post from "misr" to "miṣr", but this seems right... the question is where Shabdkosh got the "t" from... presumably either (a) it has somehow snuck in to some Hindi dialects or (b) it's an error on their site.

Side note: for "Egyptian", compare Platt's and my first source, ("misrii" and "miṣrī" respectively) with Shabdkosh, which takes the easy way out ("mistra kā"/"mistra nivāsī")...

22. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

San Francisco
    Am. English
    Good to know Albondiga! I'll send Shabdkosh and email! The shabdkosh did seem to be a bit odd, sticking a t in there.

23. Lugubert Senior Member

Sorry, panjabigator, the one that I regard as pretty canonical, i.e. R.S. McGregor: Hindi-English Dictionary, has मिसर misr for Egypt.

It's admittedly a problem (although IMO minor) that for example Dr. Bulcke: An English-Hindi Dictionary writes Egypt: मिस्त्र mistra. But any and all Urdu dictionary will give you مصر miSr like in Arabic.

24. kiyama

kiyama Senior Member

Catalunya, català
    Català: Egipte

25. avok

avok Banned

Looks like they borrowed the word from the West.

26. Aoyama Senior Member

川崎市、巴里 (黎)
    français Clodoaldien
    As Woland and Albondiga have already said, the Hebrew word for Egypt is Mitsraim, coming from the Egyptian Misr (or Mitsr in older script). From this word, many languages from the Middle-East (and further east, mostly in Moslem countries) have a word deriving from this root to name Egypt.
    The word Egypt is linked to the word Copt in Greek.
    See at :http://twingine.no/search.php?q=Egypt+origin&lang=

27. MarX Banned

Indonesian, Indonesia
    According to Wikipedia, the Egyptian word for Egypt is km.t, and in Egyptian Arabic it's: Máṣr

In Coptic it's: Kīmi, and in Arabic it's called مصر Miṣr.

28. Lugubert Senior Member

We run into several transcription/font problems here, among other issues. For the second consonant of مصر , I prefer S when I can't use the underdotted 's', but many systems/traditions for transcribing/pronouncing Hebrew employ 'ts'. On my screen, I see an empty square following the 'i' of Miṣr. Copying the word into Word :) I see the underdotted 's', but not in any standard font.

It would be immensely interesting, at least to me, to know when and where 'miSr' is first found. Ancient Egyptian wrote, as MarX mentioned, km.t. There has been a lot of noise on supposed findings of ancient written words for "Hebrew", "David" and similar, but to my current knowledge, the origins of miSr seem to be neglected.

While I'm at it, at the risk of a derail, I have spent hours searching the Internet and pestering professors of Semitic languages to find out the origin/first mentioning of the name of the River Nile. I think there might be a connection between the ubiquitous ancient as well as modern Indian word for 'blue', nila, and the river.

To add another dimension of possible confusion, my theory is that the form of Hebrew MiSrayim (grammatically dual number) refers to the union of Upper and Lower Egypt.

29. Alijsh Senior Member

Tehran
    Persian - Iran
    In Behistun inscription, column one, which mentions the extent of Persian Empire and the countries subject unto Darius the Great, Egypt has been mentioned as Mudrâya. However, I don't know whether it's an Old Persian or an Egyptian name.

30. Maja

Maja Senior Member

Binghamton, NY
    Serbian, Serbia
    In Serbian:

Egipat / Египат.

31. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Gesenius' Lexicon has a cryptic reference to the Egyptian «metoro» (I am not even sure what script it is but ventured a transcription :eek: ) as the origin of the Hebrew Miṣrajim.

32. yoyopig New Member

China (Hong Kong) and Chinese (Cantonese)
    Hi all, would like add to what 0stsee has contributed. Egypt in Japanese and Chinese characters are エジプトand 埃及 respectively.

33. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Seeing from the contributions posted so far, there are mainly two words for Egypt, with different forms:
    1- Egypt
    2- M-S-R

I'll start with the apparently simple: M-S-R (I only put the root letters)
    I think this is the Semitic root; it's the word in both Hebrew (MiSrayim, Mitsraim) and Arabic (MiSr مصر), and maybe in other Semitic languages too.
    For those who commented that Mitsraim has the letter "ts" and not "s", I'd like to draw their attention to the fact that the Hebrew letter tsadi is the equivalent of the Arabic letter "Sad" ص , so there's no wonder in the "ts".

Now to the harder: Egypt. (Harder because I don't have reference, at least for the moment)
    It's Egypt (En.), Egypte (Fr.), Egitto (It.), Egipto (Sp.).... all have the G-P-T (If I may use the Semitic way of pointing the words roots)
    The G-P-T comes from the C-P-T (Copt) Egyptians were known as (Copts), now this word is used for the Chrisitans Egyptian. The Egyptian Orthodox church is called the Coptic church.
    There are other words similar to CoPT: CoFT, KeMeT, all are old Egyptian words (not Arabic, but from the old Egyptian language) and I learned that Kemet means the black soil/land, because the land of Egypt is black due to the silt deposited by the Nile.

I tried to look for more certified references for this, and this is why my reply came late, but unfortunately I couldn't find any till now, and I'm writing the Egyptian (kemet...) part out of memory.

Interesting, this is a word I hear for the first time. I think it might be Persian, because it's not related at all to the old Egyptian word Kemet.
    This is the Coptic script. It's a mixture of Greek letters and added letters for the sound/phonemes that don't exist in Greek.

34. kareno999 Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    Mandarin
    Yes, you're right.
    Japanese/Korean/Chinese use transliteration of western Egypt etc.
    CN: 埃及(aiji)
    JP: エジプト(ejiputo)
    KR: 이집트(ijiptu)

35. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Greek:

«Αίγυπτος» [ˈeʝiptos] (fem.) < Classical Gr. toponym «Αἴγυπτος» Αí̯guptŏs (fem.) --> the land of Egypt; its masculine form...«Αἴγυπτος» (it's a 2nd declension noun which means it has identical masculine & feminine forms) described the river Nile.
    The word is an ancient borrowing, probably from the Akkadian name of the Egyptian city of Memphis, Hikuptaḫ > Aἴγυπτος.

Strabo in his Geography gives a folk etymology in which «Αἴγυπτος» comes from «Aἰγαίου ὑπτίως» Ai̯gaí̯ou hŭptíōs --> (the land) below the Aegean (sea).

36. AndrasBP

AndrasBP Senior Member

Budapest, Hungary
    Hungarian
    Better later than never: the correct form in Hungarian is: Egyiptom /ˈɛɟiptom/.:)
    "GY" is a digraph in Hungarian, pronounced /ɟ/. The Greek-derived spelling with "y", as in the English form Egypt, interfered with the Hungarian digraph, resulting in the present-day form, instead of *Egiptom. I'm not sure about the ending -om, though, as no other languages seem to have it. It may come from the declined Latin form "Aegyptum".

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  37. Stoggler

Stoggler Senior Member

Sussex, GBR
    UK English
    The Welsh name is yr Aifft, coming from the same root as the other European languages for the country name.

38. ilocas2 Banned

Czech
    Maybe it's from a Slavic language, from the instrumental ending -om.

for example:
    Slovak:
    Egypt
    instrumental - Egyptom

39. AndrasBP

AndrasBP Senior Member

Budapest, Hungary
    Hungarian
    Probably not, it's just a coincidence. There are plenty of Slavic words in Hungarian, but none of them were borrowed with an instrumental case ending.

40. desi4life Senior Member

English
    Bulcke's dictionary has मिस्र misr for Egypt and मिस्री misrii for Egyptian. No "t".

41. Ghabi

Ghabi AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    In ancient Chinese texts, Egypt is Masr~Misr (勿斯里/密昔兒 and other variants).

42. oveka Senior Member

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    Ukrainian: Єгипет

43. Dymn

Dymn Senior Member

Catalonia
    Catalan (native) & Castilian
    Catalan: Egipte

44. AndrasBP

AndrasBP Senior Member

Budapest, Hungary
    Hungarian
    Yes, it is "Egvipte" and in Georgian script it is ეგვიპტე.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  45. Olaszinhok Senior Member

Central Italy
    Italian
    That ending in -om reminds me of the Slavic instrumental case (singular). Couldn't the Hungarian name for Egypt come from one of those neighouring languages?! Mine is only a hypothesis…
    If I think it better my hypothesis is probably wrong, since hungarian templom should derive from Latin templum, therefore, even in the case of Egyiptom, the final -um might have been transformed into -om in Hungarian.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  46. Dymn

Dymn Senior Member

Catalonia
    You also have finom "delicious" and templom "church", both of them from Latin which makes me think it's a preservation of the Latin -um suffix.

47. Olaszinhok Senior Member

Central Italy
    Italian
    Yes, you can read the second part of my previous post…;)

48. Perseas Senior Member

Greece
    Greek
    Also «Μισίρι» [mi'siri], but very rarely and mainly attested in Greek poets/authors who came from Egypt, like Kavafis.
    Κ.Π. Καβάφης - Ποιήματα - Αποκηρυγμένα

49. Dymn

Dymn Senior Member

Catalonia
    Ok, but you still hadn't edited it by then.

50. Olaszinhok Senior Member

Central Italy
    Italian
    I was rewriting it when you edited your post. :)