Egyptian Arabic: شبرق shabra2

Josh_

U.S., English
shabra2 (شبرق ) -- to give a treat to.
itshabra2 (إتشبرق ) -- to be given a treat.

Example:
il-umm Hatishabra2 il-walad bi-shwayyit jilaati.
The mother will give the boy some ice cream as a treat.

I was wondering if this was a common word or fairly obscure and if I am using it correctly.

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    :) This is a nice thread. Thank you for translating the word I don't think I could've done it.
    a little correction : اتشبرق though a colloquial word, follows a patter of fusHa : افتعل which give a connotation of doing something to oneself (like the "verbes pronominaux" in French). Hence : اتشبرق means شبرق نفسه.
    As for the example you gave, it's not wrong though it sound a little bit strange. Usually الشبرقة بتبقى بحاجة كبيرة شوية :) In other terms, it takes a little bit more than some ice cream to feel that you شبرقت نفسك or شبرقت حد تانى :D

And yes, it's a common word.

Edit:
    There are other words used to give almost the same meaning:
    mangeh مَـنـْجـِه mangeh nafsak, amangeh nafsy .... this is mainly used with outfit : I dress elegant to look وجيه (I think). But this is not a very elegant word, it's more used by lower social classes.

Adalla3 أدلع and goes the same way : أدلع نفسى، أدلع ولادى، بيدلع مراته this word is used to express good treatment in no specific form (Nancy Ajram just released a new song : adalla3 wa'tabtab, but I didn't hear it so don't know what exactly is she speaking about or who exactly does she treat so بتدلع مين:) ). This word is nice, not bad at all.

The more modern one is ر-و-ش I put the root because there are many form : أروِّش، أَرَوْشِن، رَوْشَنة the first two are verbs, the last is the noun. Someone once translated it as "being cool, or funky....". It's related with doing things you consider cool; like going out in a cool place, to dress cool, to look cool.... a cool guy is a شاب رِوِش (so here's the adjective too :) ) and cool kids are عيال رِوْشة and so on...

Hope the dose is not too strong for you :D, 3 new words (maybe?) in one thread, but I just thought I'd put them here for comparison, if you wish :)

Cherine

Josh_

U.S., English
    I am aware of mangeh and dalla3. Yes, they are good for comparison. I usually translate dalla3 as to pamper or spoil and mangeh as to provide with something elegant.

I was not aware of rawwash and rawshin. I love learning new words. shabra2tiini SaHiiH.:) shukran.

Josh_

U.S., English
    I transliterate the fatHa as an 'a' (Damma as 'u' and kasra as 'i') so the pronunciation of raw*wash is 'raw' rhymes with cow and 'wash' rhymes with cash. rawwash روّش rhymes with with Egyptian dawash دوش (to bother), but of course the latter has no shadda. It's too bad there is no standard transliteration scheme, but if you could hear me I think you would say that I am pronouncing it correctly.

< Previous | Next >