Egyptian Arabic: مَزَع لي توبي وفاتني ع النواصي

lisaleira

English, US
Hello ya asdiqa!

I have studied and still speak some Arabic, but some songs -- especially where they rely on cultural tropes-- really challenge me. I'm really enjoying a recent song by Muhammad Mounir called Al Nawasy and was wondering if I could ask about some specific words and overall meaning. This isn't for a translation, just to pleasurably appreciate. The song seems to be about trying to get married?

رمشه عدى مزعلى توبى- Ramshe 3di maz3le tubi - this is hard. Ramshe is eyelash, z3li is to anger, tubi is my regret? I have no idea what this sentence means.
وفاتني على النواصي - Wafatni ala alnawasi - And it passed me on the Nawasi? Haven't found a dictionary to understand al Nawasi.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Welcome to the forum, Lisaleira :)

Your transliteration is not accurate and this is may be why you're not getting the sense of some of the words you're asking about.
    رِمْشُه عَدَّى مَزَعْلي توبي (remsho 3adda maza3li toobi) this is a metaphor: his eyelash passed by me and tore my dress. Many poems and songs in Arabic sing the beauty of the eyelashes, going as far as comparing them to killing arrows. Here, they "only" tore the lover's dress.
    The word مزعلي is actually the verb مَزَع maza3, which means to tear or tear apart; and the preposition لـ and pronoun ي (together "li"= for me, to me).
    And توبي is not related to توبة (repenting) but to ثَوْب dress.

فاتني left me
    النواصي is the plural of الناصية , and a naSya is the street corner.
    Don't take it literally, the two lines mean something like his beautiful eyes dazzeled me and he left me standing there/he ignored me.

< Previous | Next >