Egyptian Arabic: يشقط

< Previous | Next >

Gerry905

U.K.
I'm not sure which Levantine dialect uses this word but I couldn't fine the meaning.
Here's where I came across it:
هو مبسوط عشان فاكر انه عرف يشقطها
هي اللي شاقطاه اصلا وهو مش واخد باله

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I'm not sure about the translation, but esh-sha2t الشقط is like hitting on someone, getting them to go out with you, or ride the car with you. I've only heard it used in non-romantic/respectful ways. It's like when a man is driving his car, stops by a girl and coax her to ride with him (and go somewhere to have sex).
    In the limited context given in post #1, it could be reference to guy feeling happy because he thinks he could convince a girl to go out with him (not necessarily to have sex, just become a girlfriend, maybe) when in fact she was the one who "caught"(?) him.

Edit: I just wanted to add that the term I know for this in French is "draguer".

Last edited:

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    The term for this in American English is "pick up."
    هو مبسوط عشان فاكر انه عرف يشقطها
    هي اللي شاقطاه اصلا وهو مش واخد باله
    He's so pleased with himself because he thinks he was able to pick her up, when in fact she was the one who picked him up without him realizing it.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    I just wanted to add that the term I know for this in French is "draguer".
    Based on that dictionary entry, it looks like "draguer" means "to hit on (with the intention of picking up)" but not "to pick up."
    what would be the equivalent in Palestinian?
    I can't think of an exact equivalent. The closest match I can think of is يزَبِّط, which means "to get with through deliberate actions/attempts" (not necessarily by "picking up").

momai

Arabic - Syria
    Based on that dictionary entry, it looks like "draguer" means "to hit on (with the intention of picking up)" but not "to pick up."
    I can't think of an exact equivalent. The closest match I can think of is يزَبِّط, which means "to get with through deliberate actions/attempts" (not necessarily by "picking up").
    What about طبّق, don't you use it, too?

J.F. de TROYES

francais-France
    Yes, draguer means to hit on a girl or try and pick up a girl ( mostly :) )

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    What about طبّق, don't you use it, too?
    I haven’t heard it personally. Does it mean “pick up”?
    So it is the right translation in French, right?
    According to your explanation, يشقط means “pick up,” not “hit on / draguer.” “pick up” is also what seems to be meant in the original context. You can hit on someone without picking them up. “hit on” only means that you say things to try to pick them up, but you may be unsuccessful. “pick up” means that you successfully got the person to hook up with you / sleep with you / etc.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    According to your explanation, يشقط means “pick up,” not “hit on / draguer.” “pick up” is also what seems to be meant in the original context. You can hit on someone without picking them up. “hit on” only means that you say things to try to pick them up, but you may be unsuccessful. “pick up” means that you successfully got the person to hook up with you / sleep with you / etc.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe esh-sha2t is both hitting on and picking up. This is why I believe draguer is the right translation in French.

J.F. de TROYES

francais-France
    As I have already said, when somebody "drague", he may be unsuccessful ; so its meaning does'nt seem to be exactly the same as الشقط .

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe esh-sha2t is both hitting on and picking up. This is why I believe draguer is the right translation in French.
    This became more French oriented :D.
    I don't know if يشقط is considered slang but in French, it could be translated as choper? @J.F. de TROYES qu'en pensez-vous?

J.F. de TROYES

francais-France
    This became more French oriented :D.
    I don't know if يشقط is considered slang but in French, it could be translated as choper? @J.F. de TROYES qu'en pensez-vous?
    Sorry to talk here about French language. I just want to reply to Hemza. Oui, choper est utilisé dans ce sens en argot comme serrer, mais c'est beaucoup moins connu et employé que draguer.

< Previous | Next >