Egyptian Arabic: Give me a break

Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
Cantonese
Context: As usual I failed all the subjects in the final exam, and the teacher said that I’ve got to stay in the fifth grade for another year. So I begged: “Gimme a break, Mr Fulaan! Mama would kill me if she knows that.”

Can I say something like 5alliini aruu7 il-marra di ba2a?:)

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Hi Ghabi,

I changed the title of your thread because "Gimme a break" (as opposed to "Give me a break") is mostly used as an idiomatic expression with a different meaning, so saying "Give me a break" helps reduce the possibility of confusion.

In Palestinian Arabic, we would say "a3tiini kamaan shans" or "mar2iiha haay il-marra (Alla ykhalliiki)." Not sure what Egyptians would say.

Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
    Cantonese
    I changed the title of your thread because "Gimme a break" (as opposed to "Give me a break") is mostly used as an idiomatic expression with a different meaning, so saying "Give me a break" helps reduce the possibility of confusion.
    It's very thoughtful of you, Elroy, as usual.:) I did some search and found that the other "gimme a break" (not the exact phrase, but a similar usage) has been discussed in this thread. You guys really discuss everything.:eek:

Last edited:

suma

USA
    English, USA
    Would either of these work as more of a MSA response?
    راعنا يا أستاذ I always hear the speaker use plural with this one

بالله عليك

azeid

العربية
    Since there's no Egyptian input so far, I think I'd go with this one, simply replacing a3Tiini with iddiini.:D
    In Egyptian dialect
    "iddiini kaman forsa" " إدينى كمان فرصة "
    or " iddiini forsa tanya " " إدينى فرصة تانية "
    or " 3adeha elmara de " " عديها المرة دة "
    or " Fawtha elmara de " " فوتها المرة دة "
    and in most cases these expressions are followed by " Allah ykhallik" "الله يخليك"

Josh_

U.S., English
    In the context you laid out, it appears you are using the phrase "give me a break" to mean "give me some leniency/show me some mercy." I am not sure of how to express this naturally in Egyptian, but what comes to mind, though, is something like "fawwit-li su2uuTi ('l-marraadi)" or "i3fii-ni," or "irHam-ni."

If you intend to use it as synonymous with "give me another chance," then I believe you could say "iddiini furSa tanya."

Also, equally valid in this context (at least in my mind), "give me a break" could mean "give me a little more time (e.g. "to make up the work so I can pass" or "before you break the news to mama, etc.")." In that case I believe you could say either "iddii-ni muhla" or "mahhil-ni."

You can, of course, add entreatments like "wi 'n-nabi," "allaa ykhalliik," "arguuk," "ana f-3arDak," etc., if you like.

Last edited:

londonmasri

English
    or " Fawtha elmara de " " فوتها المرة دة "
    Many thanks for these great expressions azeid - is this 'fawwetha'? What does this mean? (I think its the same word as in Josh's post below)

"fawwit-li su2uuTi ('l-marraadi)"

"iddiini muhla" or "mahhil-ni."
    Hi Josh, what do these mean? 'fawwit su2uuTi' and 'muhla'

Many thanks guys for the great posts.

Josh_

U.S., English
    "fawwit su2uuTi" literally means "overlook/let pass/let slide my failing." Somehow, I doubt it is natural sounding, but "fawwit" needs an object and at the time I could not think of anything else. Perhaps just "fawwit-li di" would do. Or as Azeid (whom I did not realize posted right before me) said "fawwit-ha."

"muhla" means "respite" or "delay."

Last edited:

Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
    Cantonese
    Thanks a lot, guys. I've learnt a lot from y'all, as usual.:D

"fawwit su2uuTi" literally means "overlook/let pass/let slide my failing." Somehow, I doubt it is natural sounding, but "fawwit" needs an object and at the time I could not think of anything else. Perhaps just "fawwit-li di" would do. Or as Azeid (whom I did not realize posted right before me) said "fawwit-ha."
    Actually Elroy has suggested "mar2iiha haay il-marra", but perhaps mara2 is not used in Egypt?

azeid

العربية
    Thanks a lot, guys. I've learnt a lot from y'all, as usual.:D

Actually Elroy has suggested "mar2iiha haay il-marra", but perhaps mara2 is not used in Egypt?
    It is not used in Egypt but i heard it before from leabanese, syrians and Palestenians.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Since there's no Egyptian input so far, I think I'd go with this one, simply replacing a3Tiini with iddiini.:D
    You're right about the verb, but we say forSa and not shans. :)
    Would either of these work as more of a MSA response?
    راعنا يا أستاذ I always hear the speaker use plural with this one
    بالله عليك
    بالله عليك is used like "please".
    Regarding raa3ina, I think it's right.
    As for the other sentences, you'll need to "fix" them a bit to make them correct MSA; for example: أعطني فرصة أخرى

In Egyptian dialect
    "iddiini kaman forsa" " إدينى كمان فرصة "
    or "iddiini forsa tanya" " إدينى فرصة تانية "
    or "3addiha elmaraa-di" " عديها المرة دة "
    or "fawwet-ha elmaraa-di" " فوتها المرة دة "
    and in most cases these expressions are followed by " Allah ykhallik" "الله يخليك"
    Hi Azeid, I made a few changes to the transliteration to make it more accurate, or closer to the way we really pronounce the words. Note that many of the forum users count on our transliteration to learn how to pronounce words, so we need to be as accurate as possible. :)
    [...] what comes to mind, though, is something like "fawwit-li su2uuTi ('l-marraadi)" or "i3fii-ni," or "irHam-ni."
    As you said in your other post, فوت لي سقوطي doesn't sound natuarl.
    ارحمني isbetter be avoided in this context, because it implies that the person is being unfair to you.
    اعفيني is usually used for "I pass" or "don't make me do this".
    "iddii-ni muhla" or "mahhil-ni."
    eddiini mohla is give me some time. As far as I know, mahhelni is not used.
    "fawwit" needs an object and at the time I could not think of anything else. Perhaps just "fawwit-li di" would do.
    Yes, this is better. Or, like AZeid said فوتها specially فوتها المرة دي or 3addiiha'l-marraadi عديها المرة دي (="let it pass" or "turn a blind eye").

< Previous | Next >