Egyptian Arabic: Numbers

Leandro

Brazil - Portuguese
Hi, i'm learning both Egyptian Arabic (EA) and the Modern Standar Arabic (MSA). But i'm a little confused about the numbers.

In the MSA they are: واحد, إثنان, ثلاثة, ...

And in EA my book says: واحد, اتنين, تلاتة, ...

The problem is that when i type the EA numbers in microsoft word it says that it's wrong (i'm using the Egyptian Arabic as the spelling language).
Is it really wrong? or is microsoft word mistaken?

I've also noticed that in MSA the numbers 2 and 3 have the english "th" sound (ث) but in EA the (ث) is replaced by the "t" sound (ت).

Any comment, any help is welcome, thanks!!!

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi Leandro,
    Being Egyptian I thought I could help here :)
    I personally don't use Microsoft spellchecker for Arabic, there are many words "he" doesn't know, so I spare myself the confusion and use my dictionaries.
    But here the checker told you the words are wrong because they're in 3ammeyya, which the computer doesn't know. Egyptian or Syrian or Lebanese ... seem to be more of locations, but the software only recognises MSA, otherwise you'll need (or the company will need) to update it every year or so for the so many new words created so frequently :D So we can't really say Microsoft is wrong, the program simply can't recognise all the words of 3ammeyya.
    Still, what you write IS correct.
    As for the sounds, you're right again :) In Egypt we don't pronounce the "th" sounds (th like thin, and th like that) the first we usually transform it into S, the other into Z.
    But we also pronounce the first into T : 3 talata, Tuesday : et-talaat التلات (instead of ath-thulaathaa2 الثلاثاء)

Well, I hope i've been of any help. If you have any questions or doubts about your Egyptian Arabic classes don't hesistate to ask :)

Leandro

Brazil - Portuguese
    Oh THANKS a lot cherine, you have no idea how helpfull you were. I've been with those doubts for a long time and now you were able to explain them to me. Now i understand, thanks. Great to know there's a native of egyptian arabic here :).

شكرأ

< Previous | Next >