Egyptian Arabic: perfume

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Welcome to the forum, AndrewG :)

In Egypt, people usually use the English "perfume" or the French "parfum" (pronounced as good as they can). It's even written like this بارفان and the plural is parfanaat بارفانات .

Some people use كولونيا , and the plural is كولونيات .

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    While parfaan and colonia is used a lot in Egyptian media for perfume, I do recall 3adil Imaam's play where he said: عندي ريحة سفن أب هايلة; so I assume another word for perfume is ريحة, right?

إسكندراني

عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    عِطْر is commonly used to refer to the traditional kinds of perfume, like مسك etc. , and can be used to refer to any perfume/scent though in usual speech it's kind of uncommon.

Josh_

U.S., English
    While parfaan and colonia is used a lot in Egyptian media for perfume, I do recall 3adil Imaam's play where he said: عندي ريحة سفن أب هايلة; so I assume another word for perfume is ريحة, right?
    Yes, ريحة (riiHa) is also used. I, personally, have heard this word more than the others.

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Yes, ريحة (riiHa) is also used. I, personally, have heard this word more than the others.
    This is the usual word used by people of my Egyptian friend's area (a rural one). In this aspect if I'm not being wrong, it is similar to Moroccan where ريحة tends to sound rural while عطر, urban.

< Previous | Next >