Egyptian/Levantine Arabic: by heart

Butrus

Czech
Salam ya jmaa3a!

Min fadlukum, how do you say "by heart" in the Egyptian, Palestinian and Lebanese dialect? A phrase for ex.: "I know all his stories by heart." In fus7a, you can use either the expression "3an Zarfi 'l-qalb" or "ghayban", right? In a song (sung in Palestinian Arabic) I've heard something like "ba3rif 3an gheyb", is this how people say it in the Levant?

Bashkurkum muqaddaman.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
Welcome to the forum :)

In Egypt, we say حافظ صَمّ (to know/learn something by heart). Your sample sentence would be أنا حافظ قصصه صم.
"3an Zarfi 'l-qalb"
Just a little correction: the fuS7a expression is 3an Zahr(i) qalb عن ظهر قلب.

barkoosh

Arabic - Lebanon
عن غايب is the general expression for learning "by heart". It allows for some rewording of what is learned. بصم is more related to word-for-word memorization. It's generally an indication that the person doesn't understand the material.

Unfortunately, I don't know if other Shami dialects have this distinction.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
عن غايب is the general expression for learning "by heart". It allows for some rewording of what is learned. بصم is more related to word-for-word memorization. It's generally an indication that the person doesn't understand the material.

Unfortunately, I don't know if other Shami dialects have this distinction.
We do in Palestinian.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
Me too. But عن غايب is used too, I think.

The point of my post, though, was that we have the same distinction Barkoosh described.