Egyptian: to compromise/ make a concession

Timmy123

NYC
English
How can one say in Egyptian colloquial:

In order for relationships to work one must at times 'make concessions/make a compromise'.

Also, is there any expression which is like the English 'give and take'?

• Finland

finnois
    Hello!

In order for relationships to work one must at times 'make concessions/make a compromise'.

Also, is there any expression which is like the English 'give and take'?
    I would use for example قدّم تنازلات. Would that work for you?

HTH
    S

Timmy123

NYC
    English
    Hello!

I would use for example قدّم تنازلات. Would that work for you?

HTH
    S
    Thanks Finland.

Would this a bit strong (MSA)? Does it imply a compromise or more of complete surrender?

Also would this be understood in Egyptian dialect?

Finland

finnois
    Hello!

Would this a bit strong (MSA)? Does it imply a compromise or more of complete surrender?
    Sorry, I only now realised you actually asked for something in dialect. In MSA قدم تنازلات corresponds to "make concessions" in English, if I am not mistaken. The way I understand it is not stronger than the expression in English.

Also would this be understood in Egyptian dialect?
    Well, it would definitely be understood, but would maybe sound formal. Let's see if some EA speakers confirm, what they would think if someone used this expression when speaking.

HTH
    S

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Hello guys,

I was going to reply yesterday but thought Finland's post didn't need any additions. :)

But when you asked about "stronger", I remembered that there's also الحل الوسط compromise.
    So, قدم تنازلات is to give up on something. For example, a couple is fighting over something, so one of them or both يقدم تنازلات so that they can both find a solution. And it's a common advise for couples to do so. :)
    There's also الوصول لحل وسط (reaching a compromise) where it's clear that both parties قدموا تنازلات and not just one of them.

Both expressions are MSA and perfectly understood, and commonly used in Egyptian, but we say "addem tanazolaat", instead of qaddama tanaazulaatin.

P.S. There's also the use of the verb تنازل instead of the full expression. For example, the father of a bride is making things difficult for the young man who wants to marry her, so the couple can't get married anytime soon. So the family/friend can tell the father something like اتنازل شوية etnaazel shewayya (don't hold on too much for your demands).
    Or the girl can, later, tell the man something like: أنا اتنازلت كتير عشانك I gave up on many things for you (usually said during a fight or to remind him of the sacrifices she made for him :D)

< Previous | Next >