Ei, sprach ich, wie schön und fein...

• Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello WondererCarvalho :)

Welcome to the German forum!

All kinds of jokes are made in different languages; so why shouldn't a German write something like that in a text? It's certainly not common, as far as I can tell.

What is the character of the text as a whole? In which sentences did you find that "Ei", supposedly meaning "ich"?

WondererCarvalho

Portugês (Brasil)
    Hi, Sowka!
    It's indeed a part of a Rammstein lyric! Is when it's said: "Ei sprach Ich 'wie schön und fein' " (Hilf Mir).

And all the lyrics I've searched in order to find out why, they showed this "Ei" (which sounds actually like this). It means like "I've said to myself 'what cool and nice'".
    It's supposed to be a kid talking due to the lyric context.

Last edited:

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Well, this "ei" does not mean "ich" :) It's an exclamation; I just can't come up with a good English equivalent. Something like "oh".

:eek: ;)

LEO suggests "ah" (not much better than mine ;)) and "highty-tighty" for this "ei".

Last edited:

WondererCarvalho

Portugês (Brasil)
    So it could be read as:
    "'HEY' I've said. How cool and nice!'"
    Yeah! It makes all sense! I actually didn't know "Ei" for an exclamation, too! I thought it was used "hey" like in English! Besides, the lack of puncuation drives me wrong : )
    Danke sehr!!!

I shouldn't have got lazy about my studies in German : P
    I'll take an official course as soon as I can afford it! I my State, the most of people are German and Italian, but all speak dialects...

Last edited:

Cpt.Eureka

German
    So it could be read as:
    "'HEY' I've said. How cool and nice!'"
    Could work, but it doesn't justify the word. "Ei" is an old fashioned expression and clearly not really the kind of words, you would expect in a Rammstein-Song.

But it's okay to get the idea. If I had to translate it, I would prefer something like: "Gee, I've said, how nice and neat."

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    "I said," not "I've said." :)

As for "wie schön und fein," the translation of that part would totally depend on the context.

Sidjanga

German;southern tendencies
    "I have said." - "Ich habe gesagt."
    I don't quite understand where the ich habe gesagt came from in the first place - the verb(form) in the sentence in question is sprach, anyway, isn't it?
    In any case, Ich habe gesagt would not at all fit here in German either.

Last edited:

Sidjanga

German;southern tendencies
    "Ich habe gesagt" not, but "habe ich gesagt" would fit, and I think in English, it would be the same word order.
    Es ging mir nicht um die Wortstellung.
    Das wäre ja einfach ein komplett anderer Stil - und würde auch den Sinn leicht verändern.
    Das meinte ich. :)
    In diesem Kontext passt es nicht.

Last edited:

WondererCarvalho

Portugês (Brasil)
    I've considered using "I have said" as a translation once it (speech) happened in a unknown period of past time.
    I don't know yet what's the rule for "Ich sprach" (sometimes appears if form of "habe ich sprach") or "habe ich gesagt" due to a defined or not period of time.
    In my understanding, I would classify:

Past simple: "Ich sprach" or "ich "sprache" (I don't know why there's an "e" in that case anyway)

Present perfect: All the ones using auxiliary verb (like "haben/habe/ hast/hab").

Well, in that case, I think "hab" would fit as "had" considering periods of times being not an auxiliary for present tenses at all, but so working for PAST perfect tense instead...

< Previous | Next >