eight-eighty, one-forty-eight (fishing)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by OsamaAbdullah, Dec 28, 2013.

1. OsamaAbdullah

OsamaAbdullah Senior Member

Zürich
    Arabic
    Hello everybody.
    I am translating Wicked Tuna for dubbing into Arabic. In one scene one fisherman says to the other: "Then I had caught two hundred fish on an eight-eighty one-forty-eight."
    Here they are showing us the new boat so there is no context it's just random scenes and I can't figure out what he means when he says "on an eight-eighty one-forty-eight"
    Thank you

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Until a tuna fisherman comes along, I'll suggest that "eight-eighty, one-forty-eight" could mean a boat that is 8.8 meters long and has 148 horsepower.

I could, of course, be totally wrong, but this post will push yours back to the surface of the forum. :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
  4. OsamaAbdullah

Zürich
    Arabic
    Thank you both for help.
    And yes I believe you might be right, in the scene it makes sense that he is telling a story how he caught 200 fish with this hook.
    thanks again

5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I'm happy enough to display my ignorance on the subject -- see post 2 -- but I've never seen fishing line rated as 148 pound test. At this test, it would be in multiples of 10: 120, 130, 150, etc.

6. OsamaAbdullah

Zürich
    Arabic
    and it's impossible to catch a tuna with it i think, the legal tuna would be at least 170 - 180 pounds
    I don't know i think i will be waiting for a fisherman around here
    Thank you

7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Oh, one thing I do know is that you can catch fish on line that is much less than their weight -- e.g. catching a 180-pound tuna on 50-pound line -- so I wouldn't factor that into your final decision. :)

Added: For your interest, I found this on World Record Academy:
    Largest fish caught on 1 kg line-world record set by Guy Jacobsen
    [March 16]NORTHLAND,New Zealand--Guy Jacobsen caught a 105 kilograms [sic] striped marlin on a one kg line, setting a new world record for the largest fish caught on 1kg line.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  8. OsamaAbdullah

Zürich
    Arabic
    Thank you very much. It's good to know that.

9. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    You're welcome ... I just added a bit to my post as you were typing to show you the possible extremes between line test and fish weight. The challenge with light line and heavy fish is to never put so much tension on the line that it breaks, so there is quite a lot of skill involved to "play" the fish.

10. OsamaAbdullah

Zürich
    Arabic
    That is great.
    Thank you