eight-fold

mamas

french
que signifie eight-fold ici?

"But last year the town did see an eight-fold increase in membership to Promo. "We've only been tolerated because we've remained silent," agrees Mr Adams. "But we just can't be silent anymore." "

• ladyjustine

English - British
    Yes... whatever the increase usually is = the percent increase (not necessarily 100%!)

eight fold = the increase x 8

For instance, if the usual increase is 10 people, then the 'eightfold increase' would be 80 people.

If it's 100 people, then it's 800 people extra.

Ellea1

Southern French
    I agree with you. Besides, I don't see any 100 in the original sentence.

So it may be 8 %, 80 % or 800 %

But last year the town did see an eight-fold increase in membership to Promo. "We've only been tolerated because we've remained silent.

...la ville a bien vu 8 fois plus d'adhésion? maybe

Last edited:

Spector

French - France
    I agree with you. Besides, I don't see any 100 in the original sentence.

So it may be 8 %, 80 % or 800 %

But last year the town did see an eight-fold increase in membership to Promo. "We've only been tolerated because we've remained silent.

...la ville a bien vu 8 fois plus d'adhésion? maybe

hm.. that's math, not french :)
    eight-fold is indeed x8 and thus a 800% increase

akaAJ

American English, Yiddish
    Listen carefully to KB: "there was an eight-fold increase in membership" is slightly ambiguous. The most straightforward interpretation is this: If the original membership was N, the membership was augmented (increased) by 8N new members (or 800% of the original number N), yielding a new total of 9N. However, the term is sometimes used to state that the new membership is 8N: "the membership grew to eight-fold that of the previous count"; the new number is eight-fold (eight times) larger than the old; the new total number of members is 8N (N old and 7N new).

orlando09

English (England)
    Yes... whatever the increase usually is = the percent increase (not necessarily 100%!)

eight fold = the increase x 8

For instance, if the usual increase is 10 people, then the 'eightfold increase' would be 80 people.

If it's 100 people, then it's 800 people extra.

I think this is overcomplicating it - if you are talking about the membership of something increasing eightfold, I would say it just means that there are now eight times as many members of whatever it is, as there were before or as there are usually. ie if the event usually attracts 100 people, this time it attracted 800 people.

To have the meaning you are giving it, in my opinion, it should say : "last year the town saw an eight-fold increase in the increase in membership to Promo"...

Last edited:

ladyjustine

English - British
    I think this is overcomplicating it - if you are talking about the membership of something increasing eightfold, I would say it just means that there are now eight times as many members of whatever it is, as there were before or as there are usually. ie if the event usually attracts 100 people, this time it attracted 800 people.

To have the meaning you are giving it, in my opinion, it should say : "last year the town saw an eight-fold increase in the increase in membership to Promo"...
    I'm not sure what you mean here

How is this not saying exactly what I said??!

Eight-fold means 8 times. I said that. I also said it didn't necessarily mean a percent.

orlando09

English (England)
    you said the multiplication by 8 should be applied to the usual size of the annual increase in membership; I think it should simply be applied to the usual number of members; anyway, I guess it's fairly irrelevant for the purposes of translation - eight-fold just mean multiplied by eight either way (which is the same as an increase of 800%, as Keith said)

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Stop being so silly, some of you. Eight-fold is eight times as many = nx8 = 800% growth = doubling and doubling again and doubling again = multiplying by 8 = any other way you wish to express it.

It's huit fois.

piloulac

français France ♂
    La ville a octuplé le nombre d'adhésions.
    octupler = multiplier par huit
    Rare certes, mais correct.

Uncle Bob

British English
    Of course Keith Bradford's original answer is correct. However, AkaAJ (post 10) does make an important point.
    Strictly speaking an eight-fold increase means there are 9 times the number of individual things afterwards. (e.g. 20 + (8x20) = 180 = 9x20).
    Often people are lazy and use the term x-fold increase just to mean there are x times as many afterwards.
    I don't think one should assume laziness.

orlando09

English (England)
    ...just to head off on yet another theory about what the mathematics of it really mean..

I thought we were keeping it simple ie. eight-fold = huit fois (my dictionary just gives "fold" as meaning "times")

The membership doubled (two-fold) = it is two times bigger than it was; the membership increased three-fold = it is three times bigger than it was etc.

Last edited:

akaAJ

American English, Yiddish
    OK, so let's keep the ambiguity (is the final number pf members eight or nine times the previous numbers): "Le chiffre d'abonnés a augmenté par un facteur huit."

titi_nicolas

French
    you said the multiplication by 8 should be applied to the usual size of the annual increase in membership; I think it should simply be applied to the usual number of members; anyway, I guess it's fairly irrelevant for the purposes of translation - eight-fold just mean multiplied by eight either way (which is the same as an increase of 800%, as Keith said)

Even though this forum is not for math, I believe I need to bring an important correction about percentages and increases so students won't learn wrong things.
    - Green sentence is exact.
    - Red sentence is completely wrong, and here is why:

Multiplying by 8 corresponds to an increase of 700% and not 800%!!!

And this is very easy to understand:
    - Multiplying by 1 = value does not change = increase of 0%.
    - Multiplying by 2 = 2-fold increase = increase of 100%.
    - Multiplying by 3 = 3-fold increase = increase of 200%.
    - Multiplying by 8 = 8-fold increase = increase of 700%.

Mathematically, an increase expressed in percentage is:
    Increase in % = 100*(final value-initial value)/(initial value)=100*(8-1)/1=700%