eight o'clock curtain

entrapta

Italian
eight o'clock curtain

I just infered the meaning because I couldn't find a suitable translation: from an 80's ad for high point with Lauren Bacall (available on youtube kind of funny check it out!) "rushing for an eight o'clock curtain every night means giving up a lot of things". I thought: "Correre a teatro (o sul palco) per lo spettacolo delle otto tutte le sere...". What dou you say?

• rrose17

Canada, English
    The only thing is that "curtain" here is short for "curtain call" what actors receive to let them know that the show is about to begin and they need to be ready. So "rushing for an 8 o'clock curtain" tells you that it is referring to the actors. In the Italian you wrote it could be intepreted as a spectator going to the theatre every night, rather than the actor about to perform.

NewYorktoLA

English-the variety known as AE
    Hi entrapta,
    Just a little clarification (I'm an actor)...a "curtain call" is always at the end of a show, when the actors come back onstage to take their bows/receive applause from the audience.

"8 o'clock curtain" here "curtain" means the time a show begins, and this is used by both performer and audience.

Given that it was Lauren Bacall, an actress, it's probably "correre sul palco" or "correre per arrivare puntualmente/in orario.

But the audience also says "I have to make an eight o' clock curtain."

Happy New Year....

entrapta

Italian
    I went straight to the point anyway because that was the only way the sentence made sense ;) Thanks for the clarification, interesting indeed.

< Previous | Next >