ein bisschen Assi

polyglotwannabe

Spanish
Servus, liebe Freunde. Ich brauche eure Hilfe bei diesem Begriff.

This is the only context. it is a sentence.
''Ich wollte neue Jeans kaufen, aber alles was ich gesehen hab, war ein bisschen Assi”
i think it might mean ' uncool, shabby, not in fashion. If you would provide any other examples with your explanation would prove useful for me and other users, I think. this might be a slangy term that could be used in different contexts. I'll let you be the judge of that.
Viele Grüsse von,
poly

Vile

Last edited:
  • Demiurg

German
    "As(s)i" is short for "asozial" or "Asozialer" (low life). It's considered offensive and you have to be careful if you want to use it.

Typical slang phrases (voll = totally):
    Peter ist voll der Assi. (noun)
    Die Kneipe ist voll assi. (adjective)

Last edited:

polyglotwannabe

Spanish
    Thank you so much.
    Hier in den Vereinigten Staaten benutzen Kinder das Wort ghetto, um sich auf etwas von schlechter Qualität / etwas niedrigem Einkommen zu beziehen, könnte es eine Person, eine Einstellung, ein Verhalten, Kleidung usw. sein. Do you think ghetto, uncool clothes could be a good translation for the term in question?.
    Etwas, das eine einkommensschwache Familie kaufen könnte???. Have you seen/ heard that usage in everyday german?

Last edited:

Hutschi

It might be. Note:
    "Assi" is slang, as Demiurg already wrote. But it is not rassistic. It is just pejorative.
    Es könnte sein, dass "ghetto" in den USA verwendet werden kann. in Deutschland würde es sehr an den Holocaust erinnern und das ist nichts, was das Wort aussagt.

"Uncool clothes" ist recht neutral, das würde passen. Bei "Ghetto" weiß ich es nicht, weil ich die Konnotationen in den USA nicht kenne.

Assi - ist sehr pejorativ. Aber es betrifft den sozialen Status, nicht "Verbannung" in ein Ghetto. Ich würde in Europa "ghetto" nicht verwenden.

PS: "Uncool" ist aber weniger pejorativ als "Assi".

Last edited:

polyglotwannabe

Spanish
    I understand that the word ' ghetto' has different meaning for you and for us Americans. For us getting out of the ghetto, or trailer parks for that matter, means improving your life, carving out a niche for yourself, making it. When I meant, if ghetto, and i really think it is definitely a good translation for the term at hand, could be a good translation , I was not referring to your concept of ghetto. Everyone a little bit familiar with history knows why. I was just looking for a better translation into AE. I don't think that asocial clothes makes any sense in America.

i am attaching here examples from Urban dictionary so you have a perspective of our usage of ghetto nowadays. I don't use it. Teenagers do use it mostly in the sense related to everything connected to inner-city life which conjures up images of poverty and misery.
    ghetto
    1. (n.) an impoverished, neglected, or otherwise disadvantaged residential area of a city, usually troubled by a disproportionately large amount of crime
    2. (adj.) urban; of or relating to (inner) city life
    3. (adj.) poor; of or relating to the poor life
    4. (adj.) jury-rigged, improvised, or home-made (usually with extremely cheap or sub-standard components), yet still deserving of an odd sense of respect from ghetto dwellers and non-ghetto dwellers alike
    1. John's paranoia about triple-checking whether or not he's locked his car doors comes from his growing up in the ghetto
    2. "Why you always be talkin' ghetto? Get yo'self a propa' e-ju-ma-kay-shun, kid!"
    3. Jane hid her head in embarrasment as her mom shamelessly committed the ghetto act of stuffing the restaurant's bread rolls, sugar packets, and silverware in her purse
    4. "A TV Guide duct-taped to a 4 foot stick?! That's one hella ghetto 'mote control!"

Vielen Dank. Danke für Ihre Eingabe und Hilfe.

Last edited:

Hutschi

I youth slang this is not "very pejorative" but more a mildly negative term. Most young people wouldn't even notice it.
    So this is a language change ...
    If somebody does say it to me I would become angry in such context.

(Not in context Assi=short for assistent - but this is not the context here.)

---
    Is "Assi" in the given context just the contrary of "posh"?

---
    The good is; we agree about the translation of the original phrase.

Kajjo

Is "Assi" in the given context just the contrary of "posh"?
    Yes, I think that is quite a good comparison.

So this is a language change ...
    The word "assi" as adjective is just youth slang. Who else would use it?

If somebody does say it to me I would become angry in such context.
    Well, if someone says it about you or to you, that would be offensive, but as adjective for clothes it is mild.

Kajjo

Some decades ago the word "geil" was considered sexually explicit and offensive and nowadays almost everyone uses it as "toll". That is similar to "assi" in my reception, just some decades later.

polyglotwannabe

Spanish
    Someone wrote this:
    Assi ist die Abkürzung für asocial, was im B.E 'chav' / AE 'weird' bedeutet. Sie können dies wahrscheinlich mit Redneck oder Trailer-Trash in amerikanischem Englisch in Verbindung bringen, obwohl es nicht ganz dasselbe Bild hervorruft.
    Wer ist ungebildet, arbeitslos, aus einem einkommensschwachen Gebiet, wer trägt gefälschte Designerkleidung und verbringt ihre Abende mit Trinken oder Drogen. Dies ist nicht meine Meinung, aber das ist es, worauf sich die Leute beziehen, wenn sie es sagen.
    Assi kann daher verwendet werden, um etwas von schlechter Qualität zu beschreiben oder ist unerwünscht. Zum Beispiel,
    Ich wollte neue Jeans kaufen, aber alles was ich gesehen hab, war ein bisschen Assi”

Translated by poly from English to German, excuse the grammar!. The guy who wrote this is a german young guy.

1Nosferatu2

German - standard German/Hochdeutsch
    My 2 cents.
    "Assi" as a noun or adjective is also often used to describe someone's behaviour.
    So, a person doesn't necessarily have to look like an "Assi" in order to be considered one. Imagine a very well-paid CEO on a corporate event completely hammered, burping, yelling, molesting women, etc. I could say Er ist ein totaler Assi or Er benimmt sich wie ein Assi. He might be dresssed perfectly though.
    Someone already mentioned youth language, in the adult world (what a weird expression) it's usually considered a strongly negative word.
    Younger folks might consider it cool to call others "Assi" or be called "Assi".
    Regarding your jeans example, it definitely sounds like a negative description to me, the person didn't like what they saw.

< Previous | Next >