einen Film gucken / sehen

kittycats

English - UK (England)
Hallo,
When I was in Germany, the family I was staying with always said "film gucken" but my German teacher (and the textbook) say "film sehen". Are they the same? Is one more common than the other?
Many thanks,
kittycats

• Arukami

sehen = neutral, rather formal
    schauen = Southern Germany, Austria
    gucken = Northern Germany, rather colloquial

But in all honesty, these differences are becoming more and more unimportant (at least that's the impression I got), and all of them are generally understood.

Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    einen Film schauen, in my opinion, is highly colloquial, whatever the region, as is fernschauen, which is regrettably heard at times. Apologies for my biased stance here.

PS
    By contrast, I like, and use much myself, (sich) einen Film an​schauen. - Schauen wir uns einen Film an?

Last edited:

bearded

Yes, einen Film gucken, einen Film sehen, and einen Film schauen are the same.

I can't tell you whether one is more common than another.
    Aber 'sehen' ist wohl ohne aktive Beteiligung: ich kann auch aus Zufall oder gar gegen meinen Willen etwas sehen. Schauen/gucken bedeutet, dass ein Interesse besteht. Irre ich mich vielleicht?

Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    Not in Austria... as Arukami pointed out.
    Let's ask him.
    Arukami, did you mean to say it was standard or colloquial in some parts? My assessment as highly colloquial would at least be in the same category if you opted for colloquial. :rolleyes:

newg

(France)-ais
    In Austria it's definitely standard. I live in Vienna and I think I've always heard 'Auf wiederschauen' instead of 'Auf wiedersehen'... Same logic applies to a film. I've always heard 'an/schauen'.

Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    There's a huge difference in register between einen Film schauen and (sich) einen Film anschauen (see earlier posts).

Actually, I deem the former sociolectal.

Arukami

Arukami, did you mean to say it was standard or colloquial in some parts? My assessment as highly colloquial would at least be in the same category if you opted for colloquial. :rolleyes:

I used to think that it was sort of colloquial, too, but it's like the only word ever used in Austria. You'll rarely hear a "sehen", and "gucken" is almost non-existent. At least that's the impression I got from talking to Austrians.

edit: If you're talking about anschauen vs schauen, then that's another matter. I'm not so sure here...

newg

(France)-ais
    Sorry I wasn't clear about anschauen/schauen. I agree that there's a difference in register between sich einen Film anschauen and einen Film schauen.

Again as I said, I speak with Austrians all the time and I hardly ever hear 'sehen', let alone 'gucken'.

Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    I used to think that it was sort of colloquial, too, but it's like the only word ever used in Austria. You'll rarely hear a "sehen", and "gucken" is almost non-existent. At least that's the impression I got from talking to Austrians.

edit: If you're talking about anschauen vs schauen, then that's another matter. I'm not so sure here...
    You are not confusing einen Film schauen with the very acceptable einen Film anschauen, are you? Apologies to all for my obstinacy.

Excuse me, your edit wasn't there when I started writing, which is a slow thing to do on my cell phone.

Last edited:

Arukami

You are not confusing einen Film schauen with the very acceptable einen Film anschauen, are you? Apologies to all for my obstinacy.

I misunderstood your original question, hence my edit. Like I said, I'm not exactly sure regarding that matter. First of all, I'd always prefer the reflexive sich anschauen: "Wollen wir uns einen Film anschauen?" I also think that is the version I'd use most of the time. But if l were to decide between just "anschauen" and "schauen", without the reflexive part, I might opt for just "schauen": "Wollen wir einen Film schauen?"