einige vs. manche

< Previous | Next >
Hi everyone,

I am learning the Zahlwörter and I cam across "einige" and "manche", in context of food, expressing amount of food, is there a difference which one to use? e.g. I would like some vegetables= Ich möchte einige/manche Gemüse? to me in this example, "manche" sounds right but I'm not sure.

danke!

• Gernot Back

German - Germany
    in context of food, expressing amount of food, is there a difference which one to use? e.g. I would like some vegetables= Ich möchte einige/manche Gemüse? to me in this example, "manche" sounds right but I'm not sure.
    Gemüse is a collective noun which means its meaning is plural but its form is singular. So the right translation would be:

Ich möchte einiges/manches Gemüse.

If you use the plural

Ich möchte einige/manche Gemüse.

... this would mean that you would like to have different sorts of vegetables and not only vegetables of only one kind.

Thomas W.

Deutsch
    If you mean "some X" in the sense of "small amount of X" / "some of that X",
    then the German translation is "etwas X" or "etwas von dem/der/den X".
    Example:"I would like some porridge" in German is "Ich möchte etwas Brei" or "Ich möchte etwas von dem Brei".

If "some X" means "several (of) X",
    then the translation is "einige (von den) X" (X in plural).
    Example: "He gave me some apples." is "Er gab mir einige Äpfel."

"manche X" means something like "among the X are some that ...".
    Example: "Manche Äpfel sind rot. Andere sind grün."
    (In this context, you can also use "einige" instead of "manche")

As to the translation of "some vegetables", it depends how it is meant.
    I assume the "some" refers to the quantity. Then it is
    "Ich möchte etwas Gemüse".

If, however, "some different kinds of vegetables" is meant, then you would probably say:
    "Ich möchte einige Gemüsesorten kaufen"

"Ich möchte einige Gemüse" sounds strange (as Gemüse is seldom used as plural in German),
    and "Ich möchte manche Gemüse" is even worse (because manche does not fit in here).

Last edited:

berndf

German (Germany)
    The difference it subtle. Manch- and einig- are both used to describe minority parts of a whole (countable or non-countable). If you want to imply that something represents a substantial part of a whole you would more likely use manch-.

Hutschi

Einige and manche refer to countable sets.
    Etwas refers to a part of a non-countable amount.

Einiges and manches can refer to countable and to non-countable amounts.

Etwas Gemüse = ein Teil vom Gemüse. You can use this if you want to eat some vegetable, for example.

einige Gemüse = einige Gemüsesorten bzw. -arten
    manche Gemüse = manche Gemüsesorten bzw. -arten
    I think you can use this in gardening, if at all.

< Previous | Next >