Einstein quote

lucindalee

English
Is able to help me with a German translation of Einstein's quote - anyone'no amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment may at any point prove me wrong'.

• B.C

German
    Well, i can only paraphrase what he might have said (if he didn't say it in English) in German:
    "Egal wie viele Experimente ich auch durchführe, nie wird eines davon einen endgültigen Beweis für meine Theorie liefern können; ein einziges Experiment allerdings könnte diese jederzeit widerlegen."

literal english translation:
    "No matter how many experiments i conduct, never will one of them offer a definite proof for my theory; whereas a single experiment could disproof it anytime."

If you want to keep it closer to the original:
    "Keine Anzahl an Experimenten wird je beweisen können das ich recht habe; ein einziges Experiment könnte mich jederzeit widerlegen."

Personally, i would prefer my first translation, but it's more of an interpretation of what he meant to say.

Last edited:

Hutschi

http://www.zitate.de/autor/Einstein,+Albert/

„Keine noch so große Zahl von Experimenten kann beweisen, daß ich recht habe; ein einziges Experiment kann beweisen, daß ich unrecht habe.“

This is how it is quoted a lot of times.

Concerning the new translation
    "Keine Anzahl an Experimenten wird je beweisen können, dass ich recht habe; ein einziges Experiment könnte mich jederzeit widerlegen."
    If you prefer the new translation, you should correct the typo.

Was the quotation originally German or English? Where does it come from?
    The many Internet quotes did not give a source - at least I did not find one

Last edited:

berndf

German (Germany)
    Was the quotation originally German or English? Where does it come from?
    The many Internet quotes did not give a source - at least I did not find one
    To my knowledge third hand quotation (Paul Renno Heyl claims it is reported that Einstein has said that...).:(