• timpeac

English (England)
    Hi everyone,

Are these sentences correct ? :

"Either will you go France or Italy"
    "You will go either to France or Italy"
    "Either you will go to France or Italy"

Thank you in advance
    Only the third is correct. The most common way of saying it though, I'd say, is "you will either go to France or Italy".

timpeac

English (England)
    But how come that sometimes I hear some sentences where the subject and the verb are switched ?
    Perhaps if it's a question rather than a statement (even then it would be odd - "either will you tell me who did it or will you go to your room?", something like that - not great grammar) or you mishear or it's a foreign speaker?
    I googled "either will you" and I only scanned the results but didn't see any examples similar to your sentences.

Elwintee

England English
    Only the third is correct. The most common way of saying it though, I'd say, is "you will either go to France or Italy".
    I agree that the above is a very common way of saying this, but perhaps logically it's best to keep the word 'either' nearest to the alternatives it is referring to. If we do this the sentence reads: "you will go to either France or Italy".
    In "you will either go to France or Italy" either seems to call for a second verb (as in "you will either go or stay"). I hope this doesn't sound too pernickety to you? :)

timpeac

English (England)
    "I will neither shut up nor will I retract."

This is a sentence I got by googling "nor will I".
    How come that the verb and the subject are switched ?
    Because you swith the verb and subject after "nor" - how does this relate to your question on "either"?

< Previous | Next >