1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

El mismo cerco alado

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by alienus99, Oct 25, 2012.

1. alienus99 New Member

Moscow
    Russian
    hola a todos I am completely puzzled at these verses
    "El mismo cerco alado
    que estoy viendo riente,
    ya temo amortiguado
    presto despojo de la llama ardiente. "
    I cannot determine anything concerning verb forms : tenses ? persons ? etc What I managed to understand in the poem is great and the more I am awfully sorry to be unable discover the meaning of the above verses Maybe anyone can help me ? Mis mejores deseos

2. Gabriel

Gabriel Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / Español
    Regarding meaning, nope, sorry. But:

El mismo cerco alado / The same winged fence
    que estoy viendo riente / that I am seeing as it laughs (un cerco riente = a loughing fence)
    ya temo amortiguado / I fear it's already damped
    presto despojo de llama ardiente / swiftly stripped of the burning flame (it should have been "despojado" but it would have spoiled the metric)

3. Gabriel

Gabriel Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / Español
    "Presto" in this case is an adverb (swiftly), not related to the verb "prestar" (to lend).

Correcting myself, "presto despojo" could be "yo despojo presto" (I swiftly strip).
    Could "de la llama ardiente" refer to the rose? Is he picking the rose off the surroundings of the fence?

4. donbill

donbill Senior Member

South Carolina / USA
    English - American
    Poetry is always open to many interpretations, and mine doesn't agree entirely with Gabriel's.

The idea of the poem is that time goes rapidly and that beauty, etc., doesn't last long at all.

El mismo cerco alado (refers to the rose itself as 'a winged circular/round object'; the wings are the petals)
    que estoy viendo riente (I'm watching it; it's laughing, happy with its beauty and youth)
    ya temo amortiguado (I fear that I'll see it deadened, withered, soon)
    presto despojo de llama ardiente (soon will be consumed by the flame / the passage of time. Like all living things, the rose will soon fall victim to time. 'Presto despojo' = soon to be conquered by)

Poetry defies translation! This is purely my opinion, and I'm not 100% sure that it's right! Wait for other opinions.

Saludos

5. Gabriel

Gabriel Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / Español
    donbill,

That's why I started with "Regarding meaning, nope, sorry."
    I've just tried to translate it as literally as I could, so the OP could put it's own interpretation of the meaning on it.
    The same metaphoric interpretation of a "cerco alado" being a rose could be done with "winged fence" (I guess :confused:)

6. donbill

donbill Senior Member

South Carolina / USA
    English - American
    I think so! If poetry couldn't be interpreted in different ways, it wouldn't be very interesting!:)

Saludos