el mundo es un pañuelo

mjscott

American English
In the most recent posting of "llorona," Masood communicated to someone who lived nearby by saying, "¡el mundo es un pañuelo!" He was referring to the fact that the person was in the same time zone.

I am guessing that ¡el mundo es un pañuelo! means somehow that the world is a small place. Am I correct? If I am, is it because a handkerchief is a small thing?

Thanks for a reply. Ever and always, please correct me--I am here to learn.:)

• belén

Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Hi and yes, you are right, this expression means that the world is so small, it's like a handkerchief!

Belén

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    mjscott said:
    In the most recent posting of "llorona," Masood communicated to someone who lived nearby by saying, "¡el mundo es un pañuelo!" He was referring to the fact that the person was in the same time zone.

I am guessing that ¡el mundo es un pañuelo! means somehow that the world is a small place. Am I correct? If I am, is it because a handkerchief is a small thing?

Yes, mjscott!!

Look:

El mundo es un pañuelo = It's a small world

¡El mundo es un pañuelo! Paseando por un callejón de Madrás me tropecé con el doctor que me operó hace dos meses.

It's a small world! Strolling along an alleway in Madras, I bumped into the doctor who' operated on me two months earlier.

Art :) :p ;)

Tormenta

Argentina-Español
    mjscott said:

Or maybe because it's flat :eek: :eek: :D

Tormenta

mjscott

American English
    The world is many things. When you are an enterprising person, "The world is your oyster"--which means that it has treasures (like pearls) in it that are ready to be harvested--you just have to be willing to go after them!

In Argentina I also heard:
    La vida es una sola.
    La vida es una soda.
    La vida es una soga.
    La vida es una saga.
    --each having their own special meanings!

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    mjscott said:
    The world is many things. When you are an enterprising person, "The world is your oyster"--which means that it has treasures (like pearls) in it that are ready to be harvested--you just have to be willing to go after them!

In Argentina I also heard:
    La vida es una sola.
    La vida es una soda.
    La vida es una soga.
    La vida es una saga.
    --each having their own special meanings!

Hey!! MJScott!!! Tell me the meanings of the last 3 please!! The first one I know, and also "La vida es larga y dura" but the other ones...

una soda?? una soga??

Una saga may be possible...

Art :confused: :) :confused:

Tormenta

Argentina-Español
    Artrella said:
    Hey!! MJScott!!! Tell me the meanings of the last 3 please!! The first one I know, and also "La vida es larga y dura" but the other ones...

una soda?? una soga??

Una saga may be possible...

Art :confused: :) :confused:
    Come on Art, you know "la vida es una soga" , cuando sientes que la vida es una soga alrededor del cuello? :eek:

Tormenta :p

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Tormenta said:
    Come on Art, you know "la vida es una soga" , cuando sientes que la vida es una soga alrededor del cuello? :eek:

Tormenta :p

No Tormenta te juro que no lo escuché nunca!! Sí escuché "tengo la soga al cuello" "estoy ahorcado = cuando no tenés plata". Pero la "vida es una soga"
    no!!! Lo que pasa es que debe ser algo antiguo, y viste yo soy recién una piba.... JA JA JA JA !!!!!

Tormenta

Argentina-Español
    Artrella said:
    No Tormenta te juro que no lo escuché nunca!! Sí escuché "tengo la soga al cuello" "estoy ahorcado = cuando no tenés plata". Pero la "vida es una soga"
    no!!! Lo que pasa es que debe ser algo antiguo, y viste yo soy recién una piba.... JA JA JA JA !!!!!

Me estás diciendo antigua? :rolleyes:

Bueno, la verdad es que lo de "la vida es una soga" se lo escuché a mi viejo, quizá sí sea antiguo :rolleyes:

Tormenta :p :p

El mundo es un pañuelo​

This expression is used when you met by chance a person in any place. For example:

You met by chance to your neighbour or a friend in the market, movie, etc.

You are in another place, city, country, etc, and you meet to your friend, then you say. El mundo es un pañuelo.

mjscott said:

solcorazon

Colombia Spanish
    u know what???

what I think is that when u use that expression in spanish.. u're so overwhelmed by seeing someone in the same place that you just throw that expression.... (or sometimes when u know someone who knows someone...etc)

in English...what you usually say for those situations is "what are the odds?!!!"

kallaghaan

spanish
    Spanish 4- "panuelistas!";4940007 said:
    Greetings language lovers,
    (Saludos a los amantes de lenguaje)

Bueno, primero queremos saber la significa de "el mundo es una soga."
    y "el mundo es una soda..."

Y que en el nombre de todas las cosas santas en el mundo :thumbsup: es la palabra "piba?"

Tu vecino y amigo,

la clase de español 4 en Bangkok

:thumbsup:Viva la revolución!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
    Salu2:

"el mundo es una soga" no tengo muy claro que querrá decir, en España es una expresión que no había oido nunca.

En cuanto a una "piba" se refiere a una chica, algo así como "chick"

wesna

slovak-english-spanish
    is there any english expression referring to "el mundo es un paňuelo?" i mean some idomatic phrase or the only one is "It's a small world"?

thaaank you all!

< Previous | Next >