El negro zumbón

el quesosísimo

United States of America - English
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum. Just some background: I'm an American student, and I've been studying Spanish in school for about four years.

There's a song called "Anna (El Negro Zumbon)" that I understand for the most part except for a few words that I believe are cultural references.

Ya viene el negro zumbon
Bailando alegre el baion
Repica la zambomba
Y llama a la mujer
Tengo gana de bailar el nuevo compás
Dicen todos cuando me ven pasar
"¿Chica, dónde vas?"
"¡Me voy a bailar, el baión!"

The words that I don't understand are "zumbon" and "baión". (I figure "zambomba" is based on "zumbon", but if anyone wants to help me with that one too, I'm all ears.)

Muchas gracias,
-Mark

• burbuja2010

English
    Hi there,

Could anyone explain the cultural implications of this song? For example, I believe it was a popular song in Spain, if this is the case, when would people sing it? (occasions etc.) How is it viewed today? Is it still popular among some groups? Is it considered politically correct? etc.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Escríbeme en español si quieres, gracias.

Ferry

Spain, Spanish
    Hi there,

Could anyone explain the cultural implications of this song? For example, I believe it was a popular song in Spain, if this is the case, when would people sing it? (occasions etc.) How is it viewed today? Is it still popular among some groups? Is it considered politically correct? etc.

Well, it's quite an old song, it was composed as part of the soundtrack of the Italian film "Anna" (1951).

It was very popular in Spain years ago, now it is not, althought it is still well known and it can be still be played by popular orchestras and music groups, those that play popular songs in town and village festivities. And, as far as I know, it has not any "political correctness" implications, it's just a festive song, it talks about a happy black guy dancing a new rhythm, calling others to dance it as well.

Hope it helps.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

Last edited by a moderator:

roblingelbach

English - U.S.
    Some years ago, I saw the movie "Cinema Paradiso" and decided to track down and see as many of the films represented (it helped that my career has been in film). I saw of course the clip from "Anna", and only had remembered the tune (an ascending melody on the guitar). I hummed it for a friend (the bossa-nova guitarist/composer Oscar Castro-Neves) who said it was by Hugo Winterhalter. Using that reference I found the film, "Anna."
    Eventually, in casual research on the film, I came across this forum, and the comments about the origin of the musical form "baião" (or "baión" in Spanish).
    Coincidentally I lived for some years in Brasil, and spent time in the Northeast of that country, where this music originated (thank you to Ferrán et al.). Perhaps because I was familiar with present-day forró, axé, afoxé, samba, etc., this particular song, with its pedigree from Pernambuco, seemed familiar, and enchanting. I've since decided to arrange it for guitar :).
    Abraços,
    Rob