El rehabilitado expresidente

Malbecblend

English (United States)
“{Bolsonaro} tendrá que competir con el rehabilitado expresidente Luiz Inácio‘Lula’ da Silva, quien, tras pasar más de un año en prisión, fue finalmente absuelto de los delitos que el conglomerado político-mediático de la derecha brasileña intentó imputarle.”

It seems unlikely that the author of the above text meant to suggest that Lula has been rehabilitated by his time in prison. That is, it is unlikely that the author is suggesting that Lula has been cured of his criminal nature/has been changed in a positive way. Indeed, the author states that Lula went to prison despite the fact that he was not, in fact, guilty. So, what does “rehabilitado” mean in the above context?

Last edited:
  • The Newt

English - US
    I don't follow your interpretation.

Bolsonaro will have to compete with the rehabilitated ex-president Luiz Inácio‘Lula’ da Silva, who, after spending more than a year in prison, was ultimately absolved of the crimes that the political-media conglomerate of the Brazilian right tried to impute to him.

Malbecblend

English (United States)
    I’m asking how can Lula be a rehabilitated ex president if, since he was innocent all along, he was never in need of rehabilitation in the first place? If a person is wrongly incarcerated and then freed, one wouldn’t say that the person was rehabilitated. Innocent people aren’t rehabilitated.

The Newt

English - US
    I’m asking how can Lula be a rehabilitated ex president if, since he was innocent all along, he was never in need of rehabilitation in the first place? If a person is wrongly incarcerated and then freed, one wouldn’t say that the person was rehabilitated. Innocent people aren’t rehabilitated.
    I haven't followed Lula's case, but if you're convicted but ultimately cleared of wrongdoing, you could plausibly be described as "rehabilitated" in a broader sense, without implying that you saw the error of your former ways. The usage is closer to the way in which political figures were said to be "rehabilitated" (often posthumously) in the former USSR.

Malbecblend

English (United States)
    I haven't followed Lula's case, but if you're convicted but ultimately cleared of wrongdoing, you could plausibly be described as "rehabilitated" in a broader sense, without implying that you saw the error of your former ways. The usage is closer to the way in which political figures were said to be "rehabilitated" (often posthumously) in the former USSR.
    Yes, I suppose you are right. I was probably overthinking this, but I wondered whether there was actually another translation for rehabilitado other than rehabilitated. Thanks for your input.

Malbecblend

English (United States)
    You could always put the word in scare quotes.
    Yes, that’s true, but I think your thoughts on this are completely correct. One can be rehabilitated in terms of what others think of him or her. In other words, one’s image, reputation, etc can be rehabilitated, something that I had not considered.

DAlvarez

English and Spanish
    I couldn't agree more. It should have read: ... con el injustamente | erróneamente acusado Luiz Inácio‘Lula’ da Silva ...

Lamarimba

Rehabilitado. Ha recuperado no solo la salud y el buen nombre, sino sus derechos civiles y políticos. Como el de poder concurrir a unas elecciones. Vuelve a ser un rival potencial para Bolsonaro.

Fue inhabilitado (disbarred), y ahora acaba de ser rehabilitado.

del DLE:

habilitar
    De hábil.
    1. tr. Hacer a alguien o algo hábil, apto o capaz para una cosa determinada.

Last edited: