Elastic vs. resilient

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
When a person is young, his or her skin is "elastic" or "resilient", which means if you grab the skin and release it, it can easily bounce back.

Which one is correct? Thank you.

• My first reaction is that "resilient" is more applied to people as a whole in their plans and ideas and overcoming obstacles to their intentions, not parts of their bodies.

"elastic" is sometimes used for young skin, so that is possible.

I might not use either, though, and might expect to hear that younger skin is "firm (er) and tight (er)., using the "er's" when comparing directly with older skin.

Young skin is usually firm and tight.

Young skin is firmer and tighter than older skin.

Last edited:

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    My first reaction is that "resilient" is more applied to people as a whole in their plans and ideas and overcoming obstacles to their intentions, not parts of their bodies.

"elastic" is sometimes used for young skin, so that is possible.

I might not use either, though, and might expect to hear that younger skin is "firm (er) and tight (er)., using the "er's" when comparing directly with older skin.

Young skin is usually firm and tight.

Young skin is firmer and tighter than older skin.
    :thumbsup:

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I would imagine a medical journal might use a different term from one in an advertisement. Both "elastic" and "resilient" seem like legitimate options, though I don't think most women would feel much complimented by being told they have elastic skin.

"You mean like rubber? You mean like the waistband on my underwear?"

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >