elbow (tech.)


Senior Member
AmE (New Orleans)

in the context of pipes and fittings, what is the technical word in German for elbow? Please see here:


A pipe fitting installed between two lengths of pipe or tube allowing a change of direction, usually 90° or 45°. The ends may be machined for butt welding, threaded (usually female), or socketed, etc. When the two ends differ in size, it is called a reducing or reducer elbow.

Is it simply Bogen, like in English? I've also found Winkel and Krümmer.

Thanks. :)
  • Hmm.. but I think an (automotive/exhaust) manifold is different, and definitely much more complex. An elbow is simply the name for the piece of connecting pipe where two pipes join together, usually at a 90° angle.

    Here is a picture. (As you can see from the picture title, another/fuller name is elbow fitting.)
    Hmm.. but I think an (automotive/exhaust) manifold is different, and definitely much more complex.
    The Krümmer is also called Auslassstutzen. This is because the part has two different functions. Suppose the exhaust manifold of a car consisted of two different parts, the manifold itself coming from all the cylinders and ending in a single pipe and a 90deg elbow to join the manifold to the exhaust pipe. In this case the manifold would be called Auslassstutzen and the elbow Krümmer.
    Ah ok.

    But I just did a search for the DIN number for an elbow fitting and found DIN 2605, which according to most of the Google results (example) is called a Rohrbogen. I think that seems closest to what I need, since all of our elbows are made out of pipe (metals), like brass, copper, etc.

    What I am familiar with is to use "Knie" here but probably on account of one of my brothers being a blacksmith where "Knie" is very common (search for "Knierohr", plenty of hits).

    So "Knie" might be restricted to plumbing as far as I know. "Krümmer" is new to me, "Bogen" - not sure if I've heard that. (Might also be that "Knie" is regionally restricted, I've no idea. :))
    Yeah I've found some more instances of Krümmer (and Rohrkrümmer), but I think I'll stick with the one closest to English--easier to remember. :D
    Last edited: