elderly person/ elders

< Previous | Next >


Hi dear natives,
in an academic paper which one is appropriate? ()

The mean score of demoralization was higher among elders (or elderly persons) staying at nursing houses comparing with elders( or elderly persons) living at home and those receiving rehabilitation services at day care centers.
  • natkretep

    Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Definitely elderly persons. An elder usually refers to someone who has leadership position in a community or a church.


    I wonder if "old persons / old people / aged people" is appropriate too in this far more formal situation - an academic paper.


    Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    We use "older people" rather than "old people" as an official/formal term in BE, but not "old persons" and certainly not "aged people".

    Hermione Golightly

    Senior Member
    British English
    I think you can also use "the elderly."
    :thumbsup: Exactly what i was thinking as I read through, but if you can't use the article then say 'elderly people'. Don't ever use 'persons' unless you're writing notices for lifts (elevators).
    Whilst we septuagenarians and octogenarians are allowed to call ourselves 'old people' we like younger people to refer to us more diplomatically as 'the elderly'.

    My current bedtime reading matter is in fact a book called 'Care of the Elderly' by Jerry Attrick-Holmes.
    < Previous | Next >