electrical information highway

Madonna Halim

Arabic
"Neurons make up the brain's electrical information highway network."
Does the adjective "electrical" describe the highway network?
Source: Memory Rescue

• lingobingo

English - England
    The term “information highway” is an attributive noun phrase modifying (and describing it as a type of) “network”.
    The adjective “electrical” can be seen as describing that whole phrase, “information highway network”.

Packard

USA, English
    I think it is "electronic" in that context. I would be interested in what others say.

Myridon

English - US
    I think it is "electronic" in that context. I would be interested in what others say.
    I'm pretty sure neurons are not electronic - no transistors, diodes, etc. An old-fashioned lightbulb is electrical. An LED lightbulb is electronic (all sorts of circuitry in addition to the diodes).

Myridon

English - US
    But "information highway" is generally. Is this literal, figurative or metaphoric?

I assumed it was a metaphor.
    It is a metaphor, but it's a metaphor about electrical information (pulses of electricity traveling along neurons), not electronic information.

Packard

USA, English
    I am not familiar with the source ("Memory Rescue").

Information highway and information superhighway are interchangeable. Regardless of which term you search under this is describing an electronic means of communications, not electrical means of communications. If the writer is indeed using this metaphorically, then "electronic" would be the preferred term. I would not adjust the the metaphor to match the thing being described.

Indeed, if you Google "information highway" you get this:
    1653053065917.png

And when you look for definitions you will get this (from Merriam-Webster):
    1653051175277.png

From Oxford Learners Dictionary
    1653052873637.png

"a large electronic network such as the Internet, used for sending information such as sound, pictures, and video quickly in digital form"

Attachments

• 1653051058614.png
      1653051058614.png
      2.7 KB · Views: 5

Packard

USA, English
    For me, "electrical" and "information superhighway" sounds wrong.

Let's drop this. It is not that important.