electronic engineer vs electronics engineer

baab

Vietnamese
1. I am an electronic engineer.
2. I am an electronics engineer.

I wrote #2 but my teacher said that it is wrong and the correct one is #1.
I would like to hear your opinion, native speaker.
Thanks for help.

• heypresto

English - England
    I would say #2 - I'm an electronics engineer.

'I am an electronic engineer' is something a robot might say. It means 'I am an engineer made out of electronic parts, wires, transistors, capacitors etc'. :eek:

baab

Vietnamese
    Thanks a lot,heypresto!
    I am completely confident now. My teacher isn't a native speaker and many times he is wrong. That really makes me confused. My correct sentence was marked wrong.:eek:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    In AE we would also say electronics engineer. (I have worked with many of them and hired several.) I agree with heypresto that in the phrase "electronic engineer" the word electronic is an adjective that describes the engineer. It does not say what sort of engineering he or she does. The professional field is electronics, not electronic.

If you can do this in a polite and respectful way, you might show this thread to your teacher.

Karkas

Spanish-Venezuela
    Hello,

I have the same question about Electronic/Electronics Engineering, but given what you said, what about a mechanical engineer? Following the same reasoning given in these replies, a mechanical engineer wouldn't be an engineer who is made of mechanical parts? Still this is what you call them. Do you think this "adjective" is right for mechanical engineers but not for electronics engineers?

heypresto

English - England
    Good question :)

We do indeed call them 'mechanical engineers', but we wouldn't think they are engineers made of mechanical parts.

It's a good illustration of how one shouldn't look for logic in English.;)

Myridon

English - US
    Electronics engineering is a modern specialization in the older field of electrical engineering.
    While we're playing with "logic": Electronics engineers make electronics. Mechanics engineers make people who fix cars. ;)

djmc

English - United Kingdom
    I agree that it is normal to say electronics engineers which designates people who design and prototype chipsets and other electronic devices. However in BE one does not say mechanics engineers. Mechanical engineers would be horrified that they they are thought to either fix cars or train others to do so. Mechanical engineering is close to physics and much of it is calculating stress factors, design limits etcetera.

Myridon

English - US
    I agree that it is normal to say electronics engineers which designates people who design and prototype chipsets and other electronic devices. However in BE one does not say mechanics engineers.
    "Playing" + ;) = This is a joke. No one says "mechanics engineers."