Elegance , Sophistication

minhhai123

Vietnamese
Please help me with the two word " elegance " and " sophistication " in the context. What do they mean ?
District One is where almost of the city's attractions can be found. Head to the area around Dong Khoi street. Known as Rue Catinat when Viet Nam was part of French Indochina in the early 20th century. It was the height of elegance and sophistication.
Source: video by expedia on " Ho chi minh city vacation travel guide "
thanks in advance

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Have you looked the words up in a dictionary, minhhai123? What about the definitions is confusing or unclear to you?

minhhai123

Vietnamese
    Have you looked the words up in a dictionary, minhhai123? What about the definitions is confusing or unclear to you?
    I looked up the dictionary, but I confused me. Could you paraphrase this sentence " It was the height of elegance and sophistication " , into another way to help me understand better ?
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

anahiseri

Spanish (Spain) and German (Germany)
    it was very very elegant and sophisticated. (beautiful in a way that shows they have spent a lot of money and have a feeling for aesthetics)

Hope this helps!

kentix

English - U.S.
    "the height of" means the highest level possible. No other place was more sophisticated and elegant.

< Previous | Next >