Elevator crack

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mafalda123, Jun 20, 2013.

  1. mafalda123

    mafalda123 Member

    English (Australia)
    Hi everyone,

    I was wondering if a word exists which describes the narrow crack between an elevator and its shaft. That little crack through which pieces of paper can inadvertently slip if you drop one when you are entering or leaving the elevator.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks in advance! :)
  2. perpend

    perpend Banned

    American English
    I might say "the slit in the elevator", but may be very American (English).
  3. mafalda123

    mafalda123 Member

    English (Australia)
    Many thanks to you both, perpend and Rover_KE! Both are great suggestions.
  4. Parla Senior Member

    New York City
    English - US
    I'm American. I'd call it a gap.

Share This Page