...elite to general power...

< Previous | Next >

shiningstar

turkish
Hi,

The sentence below is taken from The reign of the phallus: politics in ancient Athens by Eva C. Kelus.

"Instead, as used in this book, the concept denotes successful claim by a male elite to general power, buttressed by..."

What does "elite to" mean as a verb? (I said a verb because in all dictionaries it's defined as a noun, yet it seems a verb or an adjective in this sentence)

• Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    "Elite" is in fact a noun here. I can't see how "elite" could ever be a verb.

Reword the sentence: There was a claim by a male elite to power --> A male elite claimed power.

Does that make the sentence clearer to you?

AWordLover

USA English
    "...a male elite..." An elite who is male. I believe the dictionaries are right and the elite is a noun. Here is a similar construction. The last time I went to a restaurant I was waited on by a male server.

AWordLover

USA English
    Male is here an adjective referring to gender. We are talking about a man who is an elite. The male is in contrast to female, a female elite would be a woman who is an elite.

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    "A male elite" is a group of men who have the most power, influence, wealth, etc. in a society. "Male" here is an adjective that describes the noun "elite".

shiningstar

turkish
    I didn't think that dictionaries are wrong actually. I couldn't recognize the structure. I can see it now.

Thanks

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with Seneca; a male elite is a group of men with a certain standing. An individual man would be "a member of a/the male elite".

shiningstar

turkish
    I still don't understand "elite to power" though :(

Sorry if I'm bothering you but I really need to understand this structure. "to" part is confusing me

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Understand it as: claim [by a male elite] to general power.

It is about the successful claim to power made by the male elite. They claimed the right to have power, and they succeeded in having it.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... the concept denotes successful claim by a male elite to general power,

... the concept denotes a successful claim to (general) power by a set of men (a male elite).

shiningstar

turkish
    Thank you so much. I've been thinking on it over and over again. Now it's so clear to me.

Thanks a million.

< Previous | Next >