elixir of life

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Plasater, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Plasater Member

Chinese
    Hello,

I have question about a story that I was reading.
    Here is the sentence "She was drinking in a very elixir of life through that open window."
    Does that mean she was drinking medicine uncontrollably?

Thank you,

Jessica,

2. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Plasater, could you give us the source and context please? (Tell us the name of the book and what is happening in the story. You can quote up to four sentences.) See Rule 4.

3. Plasater Member

Chinese
    Hi natkretep,

The book is called an hour.
    Here are the quotes: Josephine was kneeling before the closed door with her lips to the keyhold, imploring for admission.
    "Louise, open the door! I beg; open the door-- you will make yourself ill. For heaven's sake open the door."
    "Go away. I am not making myself ill." No, she was drinking in a very elixir of like through that open window.

My question was what is this sentence mean "she was drinking in a very elixir of like through that open window."

Thank you,
    Perla

4. Plasater Member

Chinese
    Well, I think it means she was drinking alcohol with open window.

That is my thought.

Thank you,

5. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    Maybe this helps further.

Another problem with student's interpretation is that the words of the story don't even say Louise was "drinking." The actual words are "she was drinking in a very elixir of life." "Drinking in" does not mean the same thing as "drinking." To drink means "to ingest a liquid"; to drink in means "to pay close attention to or to be fascinated by." ...

http://mistero.tripod.com/essays/elixirhour.html

6. Plasater Member

Chinese
    Hi Perpend,

Thank you so much! It helped.

Jess

7. natkretep

Singapore
    Jess, I assume you know 'elixir of life'? It's in our dictionary:
    ​It is obviously used metaphorically in your text, though it isn't clear to me what it refers to exactly.

8. Plasater Member

Chinese
    Hi natkretep,

someone in your forum has answered my question.
    thank you for your help.

Jess

9. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    What comes through windows? Air.

"She was drinking in a very elixir of life" = "She was breathing in a draught of fresh air"

10. natkretep

Singapore
    Yes, I considered that. But it is possible that she was also drinking in the breath-taking landscape, for example. But agreed, the fresh air interpretation is most likely.

11. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    I think she was "drinking in" the "joy of life", so to speak, by looking through the window at the life outside of the room, i.e., on the street.

This is another quote from the link I posted above:
    In other words, a fair paraphrase of the "elixir" passage would read something like this: Louise was sitting in front of the open window, thinking thoughts of freedom and looking forward to a long lifetime of living for herself alone.

I'll post the link again, too.
    http://mistero.tripod.com/essays/elixirhour.html