Ella ha dado a luz un precioso bebé

Katia Belen

español
Hello everyone!!

I got confused with these words, I looked for it in the dictionary, but I don't know which is the correct one, This is my sentence...

She has borne/born a precious baby.

why are they two? Could it be one of them used in British English and the other one in American English?

Thanks in advance

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    What are trying to say?

If you are referring to a baby born, we are more likely to say 'She has given birth to a precious baby'.

Borne is the past participle of bear to mean 'carry'.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    We do not even know what you want to say because there is no context. Please tell us what you want to say in simple words. It is very possible that neither is correct.

Rival

English - UK
    In general, we use "born" (no 'e') when it relates to birth and babies, while we use "borne" (with 'e') when it relates to suffering and burdens.

Katia Belen

español
    Hello everyone!
    I wanted to say:
    "Ella ha dado a luz un precioso bebé."

I look for the word in the dictionary and I found that bear (bear, bore, born or borne) means " soportar, dar a luz, tener"

And my other questions is: why are they 2 participle verbs?

Thank you ! C:

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I think the expression given by natkretep (#2) is the conventional way to say it, "she has given birth to a [beautiful] baby".
    We do say "the child was born", and although this looks like a verb in the passive voice, it is rare to use it in the active voice.
    In such a case, it is spelled with "-e": "Mary has borne a child.")

Meanwhile, "to bear" (= to carry) also has the participle "borne", as in "He has borne this burden for many years."

Ahora mi pregunta acerca del español: ¿No le hace falta la "a" personal en "Ella ha dado a luz [ ] un precioso bebé"?

< Previous | Next >