Ella se hizo famosa

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by wolfman1, Dec 27, 2010.

1. wolfman1 Member

English - USA
    This may be a silly question to some, but, how do I know if the phrase "ella se hizo famosa" means

1. She made herself famous (reflexive)
    2. She was made famous (se impersonal)

is this just a matter of judgement or intuition?

Thanks to all.

2. Ushuaia

Ushuaia Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    castellano rioplatense
    It means "she became famous".
    It's one of the meanings of "hacerse": "Volverse, transformarse. Hacerse vinagre el vino."

3. rpaztraductor

rpaztraductor Senior Member

Chile, Spanish
    I agree with Ushuaia

"She became famous"

4. wolfman1 Member

English - USA
    I agree that it can mean "she became famous", but is it correct grammar to assume that it can ALSO (but maybe unlikely) mean "she made herself famous"?

5. Ushuaia

Ushuaia Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    castellano rioplatense
    I can't think of a context where it would not mean "she became famous" but "she made herself famous"... I can't really see the difference between the two in English! If they're synonyms, why yes, "se hizo famosa" may be translated as either.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  6. Rastnim88 Senior Member

Salamanca, Spain
    British English
    Would adding "si misma" make it herself? I am intrigued now how you would say "she made herself famous"

7. rpaztraductor

rpaztraductor Senior Member

Chile, Spanish
    "Se hizo famosa" es llegó a ser famosa, lo logró, ya sea por su propio esfuerzo o por casualidad

8. TheEnzo8 Member

Castellón, España
    Español Argentino / Español, España
    Exactly: se hizo is an expression.

If you want to translate it as she made herself famous, ok so, do it. But the correct translation is she became famous.