Elle ne partage pas l'opinion de son patron

temple09

English - British
Hi,

I have come across this sentence in a dual language text - "Elle ne partage pas l'opinion de son patron". The translation reads "She doesn't share the opinion of her boss. However, since this is ambiguous in English I am unsure whether it means "She does not share her boss's opinion" or whether it means "She does not share the opinion (that people have) regarding her boss".
Could anyone suggest which it would be? (Or could it be both in French as well?)

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    In French, "Elle ne partage pas l'opinion de son patron" means that she does not agree with her boss. I don't think there can be another interpretation.

temple09

English - British
    Ok. The original did make more sense. I think I got confused because I had learned (from wordreference) that "opinion de" meant "opinion about". Hence "l'opinion de son patron" seemed to suggest this. Is wordreference incorrect? Could "opinion de" not be used here?

temple09

English - British
    I don't think it can mean the opinion about her boss in either language.
    This is getting off the original point of the question, but "opinion of" can mean "opinion about" in English.
    I could say that one has a certain opinion of oneself or that my opinion of someone is that they are ... etc.

< Previous | Next >