Elliptic & Isosceles

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
Hello, folks.
Contex:Archaeology

Do the adjectives in blue make sense:

These constructions are somewhat of elliptic(*) or isosceles triangle-headed chains of stones .
(*)Egge-shaped
Thank you in advance
Ayed

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I would say elliptical rather than elliptic. I am not sure what the headed part of isosceles triangle-headed means: I can't quite visualize what you mean by a chain of stones that is headed by isosceles triangles.

Also, I'm not sure what a chain of stones is. Is it a row of separate stones, laid out on the ground with distance between them? Is it the construction of a wall? Is it the decoration along a wall? The triangles make me think of the zigzag decoration of Norman cathedral doorways, but I don't know if I have the right sort of image.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Perhaps this would work better if the adjectives modified stones.
    These constructions are chains of somewhat elliptical or isosceles triangle-headed stones.
    I can see why you wanted "chains of stones" together.
    These constructions are chains of stones, somewhat elliptical or isosceles triangle-headed stones.
    You will be able to find a better wording.

I don't have the problem with "chains of stones" etb has, though there may be other ways of saying it. I imagine a series of stones set next to each other to form a line.

I think that "stones with triangular tops" might be do the job. "Tops in the form of isosceles triangles" adds information, but it is difficult to see how to include "isosceles triangle" in this sentence without making it awkward. You might explain their shape in a separate sentence.

Cagey

English - US
    As I read the pictures, then, you are talking about the shape of the arrangements of stones, not the shape of the individual stones. Some stones are arranged in a line that ends in stones arranged in an elliptical shape. Others are arranged in a line and that ends in stones arranged in the shape of a triangle.

Is this correct?

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    As I read the pictures, then, you are talking about the shape of the arrangements of stones, not the shape of the individual stones. Some stones are arranged in a line that ends in stones arranged in an elliptical shape. Others are arranged in a line and that ends in stones arranged in the shape of a triangle.

Is this correct?
    Exactly so, Cagey but can I describe them as :
    stones arranged in a line terminating with an elliptical or isosceles triangle-shaped ends ?

Last edited:

Cagey

English - US
    It is not the stones, but the arrangement of stones that have these shapes as their heads. I think you need to say that explicitly, otherwise people will think that each stone has that shape, as I did.

You don't have to use the word "arrangement", of course. There other ways to say it. For instance:
    The stones are laid out in a linear pattern ....
    It will take more words than in your original sentence to explain it.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    It is not the stones, but the arrangement of stones that have these shapes as their heads. I think you need to say that explicitly, otherwise people will think that each stone has that shape, as I did.

You don't have to use the word "arrangement", of course. There other ways to say it. For instance:
    The stones are laid out in a linear pattern ....
    It will take more words than in your original sentence to explain it.
    It is clear, Cagey.Thank you again.

< Previous | Next >