Elliptical construction

Joseph Joe

Korean
I have been struggling to understand elliptical constructions. Could you kindly check whether or not my elliptical construction is correct?

<Original Sentence>

The ten nations can be divided into three groups: The top group, whose alcohol consumption rates were more than 11 liters, includes three nations, and the middle group, whose alcohol consumption rates were more than 10 liters, includes four nations, and the bottom group, whose alcohol consumption rates were more than 9 liters, includes three nations.

<Elliptical Construction>

The ten nations can be divided into three groups: the top group, whose alcohol consumption rates were more than 11 liters, includes three nations; the middle group, 10 liters, four nations; the bottom group, 9 liters, three nations.

• I see what you're trying to do, but I had to read the sentence about three times; not easy to follow.

The quantities are unclear. Are they as follows: >11, 11-10, <9. seems to be a gap*. Is it >9 (i.e. up to almost 10). So there would be no nation under 9?

*should be <10.

Last edited:

Joseph Joe

Korean
    I see what you're trying to do, but I had to read the sentence about three times; not easy to follow.

The quantities are unclear. Are they as follows: >11, 11-10, <9. seems to be a gap*. Is it >9 (i.e. up to almost 10). So there would be no nation under 9?

*should be <10.
    Oh, I'm sorry for my poor writing skills.

The top group: >11
    The middle group: 11 - 10
    The bottom group: 10 - 9

There is no nation under 9.

< Previous | Next >