elsewas???

hello everybody

I have just find this paragraph in a lecture "Immediately after the War, the women (who elsewas there?) were set to ....."
although by the context I can suppose the meaning of the paragraph, I can't find a correct translation to "elsewas", please give me some examples
thank in advance and please correct my english

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    hello everybody

I have just find (found) this paragraph in a lecture "Immediately after the War, the women (who elsewas there?) were set to ....."
    although by the context I can suppose the meaning of the paragraph, I can't find a correct translation to "elsewas". Please give me some examples. Thanks in advance and please correct my english

There is no such word as "elsewas".

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It is indeed two words.
    The intention is to make a parenthetical comment that after the war there were only women in ... well, in whatever was the subject of the lecture.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    hello everybody

I have just find this paragraph in a lecture "Immediately after the War, the women (who elsewas there?) were set to ....."
    although by the context I can suppose the meaning of the paragraph, I can't find a correct translation to "elsewas", please give me some examples
    thank in advance and please correct my english

I think the lecture was possibly lifted from here.

The sentence quoted here was probably correctly copied by salguero, but the original she/he is working from is flawed. The sentence originally read "Immediately after the war, the women, as there was no-one else, were set to work,"