elsewhere the Solar System

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Should it be "elsewhere in the Solar System"?

Well, our dictionary defines "elsewhere" as "in or to another place; somewhere else", in which "in" is already there. Yet such use would be that the word "elsewhere" is used in closing:

The report looks at economic growth in Europe and elsewhere.
They couldn't find what they wanted and decided to look elsewhere.

(quoted from Cambridge Dictionary)

And I have indeed found an example in CD in which "elsewhere" is collocated with "in":

• Is there intelligent life elsewhere in the universe?

So I guess "elsewhere the Solar System" should have been "elsewhere in the Solar System."

The question is: is "elsewhere the Solar System" wrong in grammar? Should it be "elsewhere in the Solar System"?

Thanks in advance

One of the primary open questions of astrobiology is whether there is extant or extinct life elsewhere the Solar System. Some scientists such as Penn State astrophysicist Jason Wright, a member of the Center for Exoplanets and Habitable Worlds, have considered the possibility that a technological species could have existed in the Solar System prior to humanity's rise on Earth.

-The Daily Galaxy

Source

• agreva3

English - Long Island, NY, USA
    I agree with both Glenfarclas and Dretagoto.

As for why, I would say that 'elsewhere' is not a preposition, so it cannot be used before "the Solar system." Even though 'elsewhere' may have an understood preposition in its meaning (depending upon use), it does not itself function as an independent preposition. I mean, not too many types of words can modify a noun phrase that already includes 'the'. Perhaps someone can correct me on this point?

< Previous | Next >